Gmail security tips
Follow the steps below to help keep your Gmail account secure.
If you think someone has unauthorized access to your account, reset your password immediately.
Step 1: Complete a security checkup
Step 2: Follow these Gmail security tips
There are a few settings you can check to make sure nobody else has access to your emails.
- Using a browser, open Gmail.
- In the top right, click Settings .
- Click Settings.
- Click the tabs below to check your settings.
- Check your signature to make sure the text looks correct.
- Check your vacation responder to make sure the text looks correct, and that it isn't turned on if you don't need it to be.
Accounts and Import tab
- Check "Send mail as" to make sure all the email addresses listed belong to you.
- Check "Grant access to your account" to see that no unknown people have access to your account.
- Check "Check mail from other accounts (using POP3)" to make sure all the email addresses listed belong to you.
Filters and Blocked Addresses tab
- Check to make sure mail isn't being automatically forwarded to an unknown account using a "Forward to" filter.
- Check that any filters that automatically delete messages ("Delete it") were set up by you.
Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab
When you update your browser, you get the latest security updates.
- Visit whatbrowser.org to see what browser version you're using.
- If you see "This is the most current version," your browser is already updated.
- If you see "There is a newer version," click Update your browser to download the newest version.
Andrea is a Gmail expert and the author of this help page. Leave her feedback about this help page.