Gmail security tips
Follow the steps below to help keep your Gmail account secure.
If you think someone has unauthorized access to your account, reset your password immediately.
Step 1: Complete a security checkup
Step 2: Follow these Gmail security tips
There are a few settings you can check to make sure nobody else has access to your emails.
- Using a browser, open Gmail.
- In the top right, click Settings .
- Click Settings.
- Click the tabs below to check your settings.
- Check your signature to make sure the text looks correct.
- Check your vacation responder to make sure the text looks correct, and that it isn't turned on if you don't need it to be.
Accounts and Import tab
- Check "Send mail as" to make sure all the email addresses listed belong to you.
- Check "Grant access to your account" to see that no unknown people have access to your account.
- Check "Check mail from other accounts (using POP3)" to make sure all the email addresses listed belong to you.
Filters and Blocked Addresses tab
- Check to make sure mail isn't being automatically forwarded to an unknown account using a "Forward to" filter.
- Check that any filters that automatically delete messages ("Delete it") were set up by you.
Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab
- On your computer, open Chrome .
- At the top right, click More .
- Click Help About Google Chrome.
The current version number is the series of numbers beneath the "Google Chrome" heading. Chrome will check for updates when you're on this page.
Click Relaunch to apply any available update.