Search in Gmail
You can search messages in Gmail by email, date, size or other keyword in your Inbox, Spam or Trash.
How to search
- Open Gmail.
- In the search box at the top of the page, write what you're looking for.
- Press Enter.
I can't find a message
If you can't find a message that you're looking for, try these tips:
- In the search box, click on the Down arrow . This opens a page with more ways to filter your search results.
- If you're searching by a label name, try searching by subject line, sender or another keyword.
Note: It's possible that the label was only added to one message in the conversation, not the message you're looking for.
- Use search operators to filter your search results.
Search Spam and the bin
Gmail won't show messages from Spam or Bin in your results.
Here's how to see search messages in Spam and Bin:
- Open Gmail.
- In the search box at the top of the page, click on the Down arrow .
- In the drop-down menu next to 'Search', select Mail and Spam and Bin.
- Enter your search information.
- At the bottom, click Search.
I see suggestions when I search
To help you search faster, Gmail suggests search terms as you type. These search terms are based on information from your Gmail account, such as messages, contacts, labels or past searches.
How searches are saved
To improve search suggestions, your Gmail searches and browsing activity are saved in your Google Account if the Web and App Activity setting is turned on. To see and control your saved activity, visit My Activity.