Archive or mute Gmail messages
If you want to clean up your inbox without deleting your emails, you can archive or mute them. Your emails are moved to a label called "All Mail."
- When you archive a message: The message will come back to your inbox when someone replies to it.
- When you mute a message: Any replies stay out of your inbox. You can search for the conversation if you want to find it again.
Archive an email
- Open Gmail.
- Open the message or check the box to the left of it. To archive multiple emails, check the box next to all emails you want to archive.
- Near the top of the page, click Archive .
Tip: If keyboard shortcuts are turned on, you can also click
y to archive an email you're looking at.
Find or move messages you archived
Messages you archived aren't deleted, and you can still find them any time.
When you search in Gmail, your results will include any messages that have been archived.
Learn more about search in Gmail.
The All Mail label is added to every message. If a message has been archived, you can find it by opening the All Mail label.
- Open Gmail.
- On the left side of the page, hover your mouse over the label list.
- At the bottom of the list, click More. You may need to scroll down to see it.
- Click All Mail.
Vivian is a Gmail expert and the author of this help page. Leave her feedback about this help page.