Change your Gmail settings
You can change settings for Gmail, like adding an email signature and choosing which notifications you want to get.
Get to the settings page
- Open the Gmail app .
- In the top left, tap Menu .
- At the bottom, tap Settings.
Settings you can change
Note: Some Gmail settings can only be changed on a computer.
Any settings you change here apply to all the Google Accounts you've added to your Gmail app.
- Gmail default action: Choose whether messages get deleted or archived when you swipe them.
- Swipe actions: When this setting is on, you can swipe messages to the left or right to archive or delete them, depending on which setting you chose as your default action.
- Sender image: When this setting is on, select a sender's photo to select a message. When this setting is off, touch and hold a message to select it.
- Reply all: When this setting is on, you reply to everyone on a group message by default.
- Auto-fit messages: When this setting is on, messages are resized to make them easier to read.
- Auto-advance: When you're done with an email, choose to advance to older messages, newer message, or the conversation list.
- Action confirmations: When this setting is on, a pop-up box asks you for confirmation before you delete, archive, or send a message.
If you have multiple accounts, any settings you change here only apply to the account you selected.
- Inbox type: Choose between Inbox categories and Priority Inbox.
- Inbox categories: Choose your categories.
- Notifications: Choose your notification settings.
- Inbox sound & vibrate: Choose sound and vibration settings.
- Signature: Create a Gmail signature.
- Vacation responder: Create an out of office message.
- Sync Gmail: When this setting is on, you'll get notifications and new emails automatically. When this setting is off, you have to pull down from the top of your inbox to refresh.
- Days of mail to sync: Choose the number of days of mail that you want to automatically sync and store on your device. Any messages that aren't synced won't be able available offline.
- Manage labels: Choose notification and sync settings for different labels.
- Download attachments: When this setting is on, attachments are automatically downloaded if you're on Wi-Fi. If this setting is off, you can still download attachments manually.
- Images: When this setting is on, images are shown inside of your messages.
These are settings you can change if you forward a non-Gmail address to Gmail using POP or IMAP.
- Account name: Add a name to your non-Gmail account.
- Conversation view: When this setting is on, all messages in an email thread are grouped together.
- Your name: Change the name that appears when you send others mail.
- Sync frequency: Choose how the app checks for new mail. If you choose Never, you have to pull down from the top of your inbox to see new messages.
- Server settings: Choose how the Gmail app connects to your provider's servers, like the server name, ports, and security type. You can also choose whether you want messages to be deleted from your account when you delete messages in the Gmail app. If your password for your other provider changes, you can edit it here.
Vivian is a Gmail expert and the author of this help page. Leave her feedback about this help page.