You can add an email signature, choose which emails you get notified about, or change other settings.
Get to the settings page
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Gmail app .
- In the top left, tap Menu .
- Tap General settings or the account you want to change.
Settings you can change
Note: Some Gmail settings can only be changed on a computer.
Any settings you change here apply to all the Google Accounts you've added to your Gmail app.
- Default notification action: Make Delete or Archive the default action that appears at the bottom of an expanded Gmail notification from your device's notification bar.
- Conversation view: When this setting is on, all messages in an email thread are grouped together.
- Swipe actions: When this setting is on, swipe left or right on a message in your messages list to delete it. From the general settings, you can change the right- or left- swipe to: archive, delete, mark as read/unread, move to a label, or snooze messages. By default, you can swipe messages to the left or right to delete them depending on which setting you chose as your default action.
- Sender image: When this setting is on, select a sender's photo to select a message. When this setting is off, touch and hold a message to select it.
- Default reply action: Choose to reply to everyone in the conversation or only to the last sender.
- Auto-fit messages: When this setting is on, messages are resized to make them easier to read.
- Auto-advance: When you're done with an email, choose to advance to older messages, newer message, or the conversation list.
- Open weblinks in Gmail: When this setting is on, links will open in your Gmail app for faster browsing.
- Action confirmations: Ask for confirmation before some actions. You can ask to confirm deleting messages, archiving messages, or sending messages.
If you have multiple accounts, any settings you change here only apply to the account you selected.
- Inbox type: Choose between Default Inbox and Priority Inbox.
- Inbox categories: Choose your categories.
- Notifications: Choose your notification settings.
- Inbox sound & vibrate: Choose sound and vibration settings.
- Signature: Create a Gmail signature.
- Vacation responder: Create an out of office message.
- Smart Reply: When this setting is on, suggested replies might appear at the bottom of emails.
- Sync Gmail: When this setting is on, you'll get notifications and new emails automatically. When this setting is off, you have to pull down from the top of your inbox to refresh.
- Days of mail to sync: Choose the number of days of mail that you want to automatically sync and store on your device. Any messages that aren't synced won't be able available offline.
- Manage labels: Choose notification and sync settings for different labels.
- Download attachments: When this setting is on, attachments are automatically downloaded if you're on Wi-Fi. If this setting is off, you can still download attachments manually.
- Images: When this setting is on, images are shown inside of your messages.
These are some settings you can change if you forward a non-Gmail address to Gmail using POP or IMAP.
- Account name: Add a name to your non-Gmail account.
- Your name: Change the name that appears when you send others mail.
- Sync frequency: Choose how the app checks for new mail. If you choose Never, you have to pull down from the top of your inbox to see new messages.
- Server settings: Choose how the Gmail app connects to your provider's servers, like the server name, ports, and security type. You can also choose whether you want messages to be deleted from your account when you delete messages in the Gmail app. If your password for your other provider changes, you can edit it here.