Gmail groups all email replies with the original message, creating a single conversation or thread. Each new message is stacked on top of the ones that arrived before it, so that the newest message is always the one you see first.
To see all the messages in a conversation, click the "Expand all" button .
A conversation will break off into a new thread if the subject line of the conversation is changed, or if the conversation reaches over 100 messages.
Turn Conversation View on or offDesktop
If you want replies to appear as individual messages in your inbox:
- Open Gmail.
- Click the gear in the top right .
- Select Settings.
- Scroll down to the Conversation View section (stay in the "General" tab).
- Choose Conversation view on or Conversation view off.
- Click Save changes at the bottom of the page.
If you use the Gmail app to read and send mail from non-Gmail addresses, you can keep conversations for those accounts grouped together, or separate. This setting applies across all non-Gmail accounts on the app.
- Open the Gmail app.
- Touch Menu .
- Touch Settings.
- Touch General settings.
- Check or uncheck the box under "Conversation view."
Vivian is a Gmail expert and the author of this help page. Leave her feedback about this help page.