Create a Gmail account
To sign up for Gmail, create a Google Account. You can use the username and password to sign in to Gmail and other Google products such as YouTube, Google Play and Google Drive.
- Go to the Google Account creation page.
- Follow the steps on the screen to set up your account.
- Use the account you created to sign in to Gmail.
The username that I want is taken
You won't be able to get a certain Gmail address if the username you requested is:
- Already in use.
- Very similar to an existing username (for example, if firstname.lastname@example.org already exists, you can't use email@example.com).
- The same as a username that someone used in the past and then deleted.
- Reserved by Google to prevent spam or abuse.
Someone is impersonating me
If you believe that someone has created a Gmail address to try to impersonate your identity, you can:
- File a report with the Internet Crime Complaint Centre.
- Contact your local consumer protection office.
Use Gmail for your business
If you want to use Gmail for your business, a G Suite account might be better for you than a personal Google Account. G Suite starts at £4.60 per user per month and includes the following:
- A professional, ad-free Gmail account using your company’s domain name, such as firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ownership of employee accounts so you are always in control of your company’s accounts, emails and files.
- 24/7 phone, email and chat support from a real person.
- Increased Gmail and Google Drive storage.
- Mobile device management to keep your data secure, such as the ability to remotely wipe lost devices.
- Advanced security and administrative controls.