Selecting your Gmail picture
What face would you like to present to the world? You can choose almost any photo as your Gmail picture, to show up whenever another user rolls over your name in their inbox, Contacts, Chat list, or when someone looks at your public Google Profile.
- Click the gear in the top right.
- Select Settings.
- From the My picture section, click Select a picture. The Upload a picture window will appear.
- Upload a new photo from your computer, or select a photo from Picasa Web Albums or your previous Google profile photos.
- A box will appear over your photo, selecting part of it. Drag this selected region to crop your photo, or resize the region by clicking and dragging one of the region corners.
- Click Apply Changes.
- You can select whether you'd like all Gmail users to see your picture, or only those who you've allowed to chat with you, using the radio buttons next to your uploaded photo on your Settings page.
- Visible to everyone means anyone who you email, or who emails you, can see your picture.
- Visible only to people I can chat with includes users who have been given permission to see when you're online and to chat with you.
Once you apply your picture, you'll be able to view and change it from your Gmail settings page, and other users will see your selection when they roll over your name in conversations or in their contact lists. It will also show up as your picture in Google Talk. Likewise, picture selections made in Google Talk will be reflected in your Gmail interface, though there might be a slight delay for the change to take effect.