Emailing Google+ connections
If you’re a Google+ user, you can use Gmail to email people in your Google+ circles even if you don’t have their email address. You can control who can email you this way with a setting in Gmail.
Who can see my email address?
Your email address isn’t visible to someone on Google+ until you send them an email or reply to an email they sent you in Gmail.
- Open Gmail on a computer.
- Click Compose.
- Start typing the name of the person.
- If there’s a match in your Google+ circles, you’ll see their name and photo.
You can only send emails to your Google+ connections with the desktop version of Gmail.
If you use Google+, you can receive emails from other Google+ users.
From someone in your circles
Someone who you’ve added to your circles can send you a regular email. These emails will appear in your Primary category if you use inbox categories.
From someone you haven’t added to your circles
You can receive an email from someone who is not in one of your circles. You can decide whether you want to receive future emails from that person:
- To continue receiving emails from that person, reply to the email or click Add to circles.
- To block emails from that person, click the Report Spam or Abuse link in the email.
- If you ignore the email, the person won’t be able to invite you to any new conversations, but they could reply to their original message. To avoid these replies, click the Report Spam or Abuse link in the message.
An email from someone you haven’t added to circles will be filtered into your Social category if you use inbox categories.
Gmail has always been dedicated to keeping spam out of your inbox. There are extra safeguards and protections for this type of message. If you do get an unwanted message, just click the Report Spam or Abuse link in the email.
Control who can email you
You can control who can email you via Google+ by changing your settings in Gmail.
- On a computer: Open Gmail. Then, click the gear in the top right and select Settings.
On a phone or tablet: Click this link.
- Scroll down to the Email via Google+ section (stay in the "General" tab).
- Click the drop-down menu and choose one of the options:
- Anyone on Google+: If you have a Google+ account, anyone who has you in their circles can send you an email. You can decide whether to allow future emails. See who has you in their circles.
- Extended circles: People who are part of your circles' circles can email you, such as a friend of one of your friends.
- Circles: Only people you’ve added to your circles can email you. See who is in your circles.
- No one: Only people who have your email address can email you. For example, if a Google+ connection tries to email you and they don't know your email address, your name won't appear as a contact suggestion in Gmail.
- Click Save Changes at the bottom of the page.