Sort your emails into different inbox tabs, such as Social or Promotions. When you open Gmail, you won't have to see all of your emails at once.
Add or remove category tabs
- On your computer, open Gmail.
- In the top right, click Settings See all settings.
- Click the Inbox tab.
- In the 'Inbox type' section, select Default. Note: To hide all tabs, select another inbox type.
- In the 'Categories' section, tick the boxes of tabs that you want to see. Note: You can't make new tabs; you can only display or hide existing ones.
- Scroll to the bottom, then click Save Changes.
Note: If you've turned on notifications, you'll only receive notifications about emails in your Primary category.
Move an email to a new category
1. Drag an email to a category tab to add it.
2. To move all future emails from that sender to that category, on the bottom left pop-up notification, click Yes.
Find emails in a category
Can't find emails in a category
Archived emails won't show up their category tabs.
To find emails you've archived, search for the email in the box at the top of the page.
Search a category
Type category: then the category name before your search term.
For example, category:social party shows you emails in the Social tab that include "party."
These categories can be used in searches, even if the category isn’t currently enabled as a tab:
- Primary– emails from people you know and messages that don’t appear in other tabs.
- Social– messages from social networks and media-sharing sites.
- Promotions– deals, offers and other promotional emails.
- Updates– notifications, confirmations, receipts, bills and statements.
- Forums– messages from online groups, discussion boards and mailing lists.
- Reservations– flight confirmations, hotel bookings and restaurant reservations.
- Purchases– order, dispatch and delivery emails.
Tip: 'Reservations' and 'Purchases' can’t be enabled as tabs, but can be used in searches and filters.
Change notifications for each category
You can choose different notifications for each category. Learn more about notifications.
I can't turn on inbox categories
If you have more than 250,000 messages in your inbox, you won't be able to turn on inbox categories.
To get below this limit, you can archive or delete messages.
Check the number of messages in your inbox
In Gmail, replies to a message are grouped into conversations. In your inbox, you'll see the number of conversations you have, but not the number of messages.
Follow these steps to see how many messages are in your inbox:
- On your computer, open Gmail. You can't find your total number of messages from the Gmail app.
- In the top right, click Settings Settings.
- Scroll down to the 'Conversation view' section.
- Select Conversation view off.
- At the bottom of the page, click Save changes.
- Go back to your inbox to see the number of messages that you have. If you have different sections or categories, make sure that you add together the number from each section.
- When you've finished, go back to Settings and turn on 'Conversation view'.