Send or unsend Gmail messages
You can send or unsend messages from a browser or the Gmail app.
Write an email
- Open Gmail.
- In the top left, click Compose.
- In the "To" field, add recipients. If you want, you can also add recipients in the "cc" and "bcc" fields.
- Add a subject.
- Write your message.
- At the bottom of the page, click Send.
Recall an email with Undo Send
If you turn "Undo Send" on, you can retract a message right after you sent it.
First, turn on Undo Send
- On your computer, open Gmail.
- In the top right, click Settings Settings.
- In the "Undo Send" section, check the box next to "Enable Undo Send."
- In the "Send cancellation period" section, set the amount of time you want to decide if you want to unsend an email.
- At the bottom of the page, click Save Changes.
Undo sending your message
After you turn on Undo Send, you can cancel sending an email.
- After you send a message, you'll see the message "Your message has been sent" and the option to Undo or View message.
- Click Undo.
Options for adding message recipients
When you add recipients to your message, you have the option to add a "cc" field. Anyone in this field will see the other recipients of the message.
"Cc" is often used to add recipients to an email who don't need to take any action.
If you're sending a message and want to hide a recipient's email address, you can add them in the "bcc" field.
How "bcc" works
- The recipients won't know that you added anyone to bcc.
- Anyone you add to the "bcc" field will see that they were added using "bcc." They will also see message recipients in the "to" and "cc" fields. Note: If they don't use Gmail, they may not see this information.
- People you add in "bcc" can't see the name or email address of anyone else you add in the "bcc" field.
- If people reply all to a message, people in "bcc" won't see the reply.
When you write a message, you'll add the recipients in the "to," "cc," or "bcc" fields.
To add multiple recipients, put a comma between the names or email addresses of the recipients.
If you need to send an email to a large number of people, you can also create a group, then add that group's email address in the "to" field.
Vivian is a Gmail expert and the author of this help page. Leave her feedback about this help page.