Turn your Out of Office AutoReply on or off
- Make sure you've downloaded the Gmail app.
- On your iPhone or iPad, open the Gmail app .
- In the top left, tap Menu .
- Scroll to the bottom, then tap Settings.
- Tap the account you want the response to come from.
- Tap Vacation responder.
- Switch "Vacation Responder" On .
- Fill in the date range, subject, and message.
- In the top right, tap Save.
To turn off your vacation reply, switch "Vacation responder" to Off .
When your Out of Office AutoReply is sent
Your Out of Office AutoReply starts at 12:00 am on the start date and ends at 11:59 pm on the end date, unless you end it earlier.
In most cases, your Out of Office AutoReply is only sent to people the first time that they message you.
Here are the occasions when someone may see your Out of Office AutoReply more than once:
- If the same person contacts you again four days later and your Out of Office AutoReply is still on, they'll see your Out of Office AutoReply again.
- Your Out of Office AutoReply restarts each time you edit it. If someone receives your initial Out of Office AutoReply, then emails you again after you've edited it, they'll see your new response.
- If you use Gmail through your work, school/university or other organisation, you can choose whether your response is sent to everyone or only to people in your organisation.
Note: Messages sent to your spam folder and messages addressed to a mailing list you subscribe to won't get your Out of Office response.
Find out of office status
You can find the out of office statuses in Gmail.
If someone is away from the office, Gmail shows their out of office status when you compose an email to them. You can still send the email, but they might not reply until they return. If you have Chat enabled in Gmail, you will also see their out of office status when you send a direct message.
If someone doesn't have permission to view your out of office event, Gmail won't show you're out of office.