Message text is garbled
Each time you view messages sent to your Gmail address, our system determines what encoding was used by the sender in order to display the mail. If Gmail isn't able to accurately detect the encoding of a message, it may not be displayed properly. Our engineers are working hard to find a solution to this problem. In the meantime, you can view your messages by opening an original copy. Here's how:
- Sign in to Gmail.
- Open the conversation containing the message you would like to view.
- Click the down arrow next to Reply, at the top-right of the message pane.
- Click Message text garbled?
- From the View menu, select Encoding.
- Choose an encoding from the list of options. (Additional languages are available by selecting More.)
- From the View menu, select Character Encoding.
- Choose an encoding from the list of options. (Additional languages are available under More Encodings.)
- Click View along the top of your browser, select Text Encoding.
- Choose an encoding from the list of options.
To adjust encoding settings in Chrome, visit this page.
Help us improve our encoding by reporting your issue.
Vivian is a Gmail expert and the author of this help page. Leave her feedback about this help page.