Gmail prevents most spam from reaching your inbox, but if an unwanted message does make it through, you can report the message as spam. The more spam you mark, the better Gmail will get at weeding out those types of messages.
When you report a message as spam, Google will look into the reported email to investigate the issue.Computer
If you see spam in your inbox:
- Select the message you'd like to report.
- Click the spam button in the toolbar above your message list.
(If you have the message open, you can also report it as spam by using the same button.)
- Open the message, or touch and hold the message while viewing your inbox.
- Touch the menu ( or your device's menu button).
- Touch Report spam.
To see the messages Gmail has marked as spam, touch the menu and select Spam.
If you find a message that shouldn't have been marked as spam, open the message and touch the menu ( or your device's menu button) and select Report not spam.
You can report spam following either of the steps below:
- While reading the conversation's messages, touch Menu > More > Report spam.
- Check one or a batch of conversations in your inbox or other conversation list, touch Menu > Report spam.
When you report a conversation as spam, the conversation and all its messages are removed from your Inbox. You can view the messages you’ve marked as spam by viewing messages with the Spam label.
- Check the box next to the message, or open the message.
- At the top-right, touch the down arrow.
- Touch Report spam .
If your contacts say you sent spam to them:
Find the full headers of the spam message from Sent Mail or from one of your Contacts, and report it to our team. We'll investigate your report, but we're unable to respond to individual cases. In particular, we aren't able to provide you with information about attempted logins to your account including, but not limited to, the IP address from which the attempted login was made, and the time and date attempted logins occurred.
In addition, make sure that you've followed the steps at our security checklist to ensure the security of your account.
Vivian is a Gmail expert and the author of this help page. Leave her feedback about this help page.