Set up and use Gmail account recovery options
After you set up your recovery options, you can use them to sign in to Gmail if you forget your password.Set up account recovery options
- On a computer, open Gmail.
- At the top right, click the settings icon .
- Click Settings.
- Click Accounts.
- In the "Change account settings" section, click Change password recovery options.
- You might need to type in your password.
- Click Add a recovery email address/a mobile phone number. If you already have these options, you’ll see a link to edit them.
- Make your changes.
- Click Save.
To get started recovering your Gmail account, follow these steps:
- Visit the account recovery page.
- Enter your username.
- Click Submit.
- To prove you’re not a robot, type the squiggly letters in the picture.
- Click Submit.
We’ll contact you through your recovery email address or phone number to help you sign in to Gmail.
Recover your account by email
- Choose the button that says "Email to…" and contains the address you’d like to use to receive your recovery mail. Make sure you’’ have continued access to that account (we recommend not using a work or school address).
- We’ll automatically send an email to that address.
- Sign in to that account and follow the instructions in the email.
If you don’t get the email, check your spam or Bulk Mail folders for a message from
Recover your account with your mobile phone number
- Choose the button that says "Text message to ********XX."
- We’ll automatically send a text to that number with a code.
- Back on your computer, enter the code.
If you can’t use any of your existing account recovery options on the password assistance page, click I no longer have access to these. We’ll show you some questions to help us make sure that you own the account.
We ask difficult questions on purpose. Answer as many questions as possible, and make sure that your answers are right. If you’re not sure about an answer, make your best guess. It helps to submit your answers from a computer you've used in the past.
Vivian is a Gmail expert and the author of this help page. Leave her feedback about this help page.