Import vCard files
You can import vCard files from applications like Outlook and Mac Address Book. To do so, follow these steps:
From Mac Address Book
- Go to File and choose Export
- Choose Export vCard.
- Sign in to Gmail.
- Click Gmail at the top-left corner of your Gmail page, then choose Contacts.
- Click the More actions dropdown menu and select Import....
- Click the Choose File button and locate the vCard file you'd like to upload.
- Select the file and click the Import button.
A few things to keep in mind:
The vCard files that these apps produce might not contain all of the supported contact fields. For example, when Outlook exports to a vCard file, it omits data, including attachments, distribution lists, the “file as” field, and text formatting in the “notes” field. Because Google Contacts doesn’t have a way to know what data was omitted, we suggest that after you finish the import, you search for contacts that might have these properties and manually copy over any important information.
Also, Google Contacts doesn’t support contact attachments, distribution lists, rich text formatting in the “notes” field, and unlimited length for the “notes” field. When we are unable to import a certain field from the vCard, we do our best to let you know so that you can fix it manually.
Vivian is a Gmail expert and the author of this help page. Leave her feedback about this help page.