Can’t sign in to my email app
If you’re using the wrong Gmail password on another email app, you might have these problems:
- The app keeps asking for your username and password
- You see an "invalid credentials" error message
- You see a "web login required" error message
If you have these problems or can’t sign in, first check to make sure you’re using the right password.
Tip: Keep in mind that passwords are case-sensitive.
Troubleshoot sign-in problems
If you’re sure your password is right, try these tips:
- If you've turned on 2-Step Verification for your account, you might need to enter an App password instead of your regular password.
- Sign in to your account from the web version of Gmail at https://mail.google.com. Once you’re signed in, try signing in to the mail app again.
- Visit http://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptcha and sign in with your Gmail username and password. If asked, enter the letters in the distorted picture.
- Your app might not support the latest security standards. Try changing a few settings to allow less secure apps access to your account.
- Make sure your mail app isn't set to check for new email too often. If your mail app checks for new messages more than once every 10 minutes, the app’s access to your account could be blocked.
- Change your password according to our tips on creating a strong password.
Vivian is a Gmail expert and the author of this help page. Leave her feedback about this help page.