You can edit a label through both the Labels list or the Labels tab of your Gmail Settings.
To edit a label through your Labels list:
- Click the square to the left of a label in your Labels list. A color palette opens.
- Select Rename at the bottom of the palette.
- Enter the new label name, and click OK.
To edit a label through the Labels tab of your Gmail Settings:
- Click the gear in the top right.
- Select Settings.
- Select the Labels tab.
- Hover over the current label name and click on the name. A cursor should appear that allows you to edit the current label name.
- Click away from the label name and the edited name will be saved and updated.
All the messages categorized under your old label name are now categorized under your new label. And, if the label you've edited is part of a filter, Gmail automatically updates your filter settings so new messages are categorized with the new label's name.