Use Gmail offline
You can read, respond to, and search your Gmail messages when you aren't connected to the Internet by installing the Gmail Offline app for Chrome.
Install Gmail Offline
When you install Gmail Offline, your messages will sync with your browser's storage on the computer you're using. If you're using a public or shared computer, don't install Gmail Offline because others who use the computer could see your messages.
- Visit the Gmail Offline page in the Chrome Web Store.
- Click Add to Chrome Add app.
- In Chrome, visit
- Click Gmail offline .
- Click Allow offline mail Continue.
After the app is installed, your messages will start syncing. If you close Google Chrome while your messages are syncing, sync will stop.
Get Gmail Offline
Any messages you write, archive, label, or delete while you're offline will be sent or moved when you connect to the Internet.
- When you're offline, visit
- Click Gmail Offline .
Note: You can only add attachments of up to 5 megabytes (MB) for a single attachment, and 25 megabytes (MB) total for a single message.
Choose how many messages get synced
By default, Gmail Offline syncs the last 7 days of messages, and anything in your Starred or Drafts folders. Messages in Trash or Spam are never synced.
To sync messages from more than 7 days ago:
- Click Gmail Offline .
- In the top right, click Settings .
- Next to "Download mail from past," select Week, 2 weeks, or Month.
- In the top right, click Apply.
Uninstall Gmail Offline
Step 1: Remove your offline data
- On your computer, open Google Chrome.
- At the top right, click More Settings.
- At the bottom, click Advanced.
- Under "Privacy and security," click Content settings.
- Click Cookies.
- Under "All cookies and site data," click Remove all.
- Confirm by clicking Clear all.
Step 2: Delete Gmail Offline
- Right-click Gmail Offline.
- Click Remove from Chrome.
Gmail Offline only syncs the messages for the Gmail account you were using when you set it up.
Here's how to add messages from another Gmail account into your Gmail Offline app:
- Click Gmail Offline.
- In the bottom left, click your email address.
- Click Sign in to another account.
- Follow the steps on screen to sign in to your other account.
If you close Google Chrome, your messages will stop syncing.
Open Google Chrome again to start sync.
Michelle is a Gmail expert and the author of this help page. Leave her feedback about this help page.