- View Google apps integrated into the Gmail main menu
- View specific app menus in the collapsible panel
- Get notified of new Chat and Space messages through notification bubbles
- Point to each app’s icon to preview what’s going on without switching context
- Show or hide the side panel
New app menu experience
- Switch between apps: Click an app name.
- Preview an icon: Point to an icon.
- Hide or show the collapsible panel: On the top left, click Show or Hide main menu .
- Customize apps in the main menu:
- On the upper right, click Settings . A quick settings menu appears.
- Under the "Apps in Gmail" section, click Customize.
- Select the apps you want to use in Gmail.
- Click Done.
New chat experience
From the Chat tab, you can access individual or group chat messages.
To open the chat into a small pop-up window at the bottom of your screen, go to the top of any chat or next to the chat message in the side panel and click Open in a pop-up . The window stays in view as you move to other tabs, such as Mail or Spaces.
Chat message notification bubbles
When you get a new chat or space message, the notification appears on the bottom left corner in a bubble. When you point to the bubble, a message preview displays.
Reply to a message shown in a bubble:
- To open the message and reply directly from the chat or spaces tab, click the bubble.
- To open the chat into a small pop-up window at the bottom of your screen and reply, click Open in a pop-up or Reply.
To turn on notification bubbles:
- At the top right of your Gmail window, next to your status indicator, click More options Chat notification settings.
- In the window that appears, check the boxes next to “Allow Chat notifications” and “Open chat bubbles for new messages.”
- At the bottom of the window, click Done.
- To turn notification bubbles off, uncheck the box next to “Open chat bubbles for new messages.”
- To open chat bubbles in a pop-up view instead of fullscreen, uncheck the box “Open chat bubbles in full screen.”