Important: Multi-send mode is only available for Workspace Individual subscribers on desktop devices.
If you are a Workspace Individual subscriber, you can use multi-send mode in Gmail to create email marketing campaigns, or send newsletters and announcements. Multi-send emails are delivered individually to each contact you add to the “To” field, so recipients won’t know who else the email was sent to.
Turn on multi-send mode
When multi-send mode is turned on, a “Continue” button replaces the normal “Send” button, the tab header turns purple, and a help banner shows at the bottom of your draft. Multi-send emails automatically include an unsubscribe link at the bottom of your message so recipients can opt out of future emails.
- On your computer, go to Gmail.
- At the top left, click Compose.
- From the toolbar at the bottom, click Turn multi-send mode on/off .
Choose your recipients
While in multi-send mode, you can add up to 1,500 recipients in the “To” field and a maximum of 1 recipient in the “Cc” or “Bcc” field. Any recipient added to the “Cc” or “Bcc” field will be copied on every single outgoing email. Learn more about Cc and Bcc recipients.
To add recipients to your email:
- Type or paste in recipients.
- Use a contact list to add multiple recipients at once.
Manage mailing lists
You can create and manage contact lists with labels in Google Contacts.
To create and manage contacts, you can:
- Create a contact label like “Workshop attendees” or “New signups” add contacts to the label. To add contacts, click on the checkbox next to their name and then
- Drag the selected contacts onto a label in the sidebar, or
- From the toolbar above the label, click Manage labels
- From the sidebar, click on Import to import a CSV / vCard file of external contacts.
- From the import window, select the custom label that you want to apply to each imported contact.
To add a mailing list to your email recipients, search for the label name in the “To” field in Gmail.
Send your email
- When your email draft is complete, click Continue.
- You’ll get a warning notification if you have too many recipients in the Cc or Bcc field.
- You’ll get a warning notification if you’ve removed the unsubscribe link. To add the unsubscribe link back into your email, click Add link.
- A confirmation box appears where you will find the total number of unsubscribed recipients, if anyone has unsubscribed.
- Optional: Click Send preview to send yourself a test email
- To send your email, click Send all.
Tip: Anyone who is unsubscribed from your emails is excluded automatically from the recipient list when you send your email.
Find your sent emails
You can find your multi-send email in your Sent folder after it is sent. It will have a banner so you know it was a multi-send email.
You will only find one email in the Sent folder, regardless of how many recipients were on the email. The emails sent individually to each recipient are automatically moved to your Trash folder to avoid clutter in your Sent folder and search results.
You can add up to 1,500 recipients in the “To” field per email and send to a maximum of 1,500 recipients per day. For example, you can send one multi-send email to 1,000 recipients and another multi-send email to 500 recipients. The 1,500-recipient daily limit for multi-send ensures that you can still send up to 500 normal messages that day without exceeding the 2,000-per-day overall limit for Workspace Individual subscribers.
There’s no limit to the number of unique recipients you can contact per month with multi-send. You can only have 1 recipient in Cc or Bcc. Learn more about Cc and Bcc recipients.
How to avoid Spam
When you send email in bulk, it’s important to follow best practices that respect your recipient's inbox and follow your local regulations and Gmail policies.
To run an effective email campaign, messages you send should connect you and your recipients in a meaningful way. Learn more about bulk email best practices.
Understand multi-send limitations
- You can’t use Reply, Forward, Schedule send, or Confidential mode with multi-send mode.
- Multi-send doesn’t support email personalization or mail merge.
- If you attach something in a multi-send email, the attachment will be copied to every single outgoing email. This can use up a large amount of storage. For example, if you send a multi-send email to 500 recipients with a 10MB attachment, you would use up about 5GB of your storage.
- Instead of an attachment, you can upload your file to Google Drive and link to it in your email. Learn how to share files from Google Drive.