You can turn on notifications to receive alerts on your phone or computer when you get new emails.
Turn Gmail notifications on or off
You can receive email notifications on Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari when you've signed in to Gmail and have it open in your browser.
Note: You won't see any notifications if you've turned off all notifications for your browser.
- On your computer, open Gmail.
- In the top right, click Settings See all settings.
- Scroll down to the 'Desktop notifications' section.
- Select New email notifications on, Important email notifications on, or Email notifications off.
- At the bottom of the page, click Save changes.
Note: If you use inbox categories and have turned on notifications for new emails, you'll only receive notifications about messages in your Primary category. If you've turned on notifications for important emails, you'll receive notifications for everything marked as important.
I can't see my email notifications
If you use Windows 10, you'll see notifications outside of your Internet browser. Turn on your Chrome notifications in the Windows Action Centre.
Turn notification sounds on or off
- Open Gmail.
- At the top right, click Settings See all settings.
- Scroll to ‘Desktop notifications’.
- Click New email notifications on or Important email notifications on.
- Next to ‘Email notification sounds’, select a sound from the list.
- To turn off email notification sounds, select None.
- Scroll to the bottom click Save changes.