You can turn on notifications to get alerts on your phone or computer when you get new emails.
Turn Gmail notifications on or off
You can get email notifications on Google Chrome, Firefox, or Safari when you're signed in to Gmail and have it open in your browser.
Note: You won't see any notifications if you turned off all notifications for your browser.
- On your computer, open Gmail.
- In the top right, click Settings See all settings.
- Scroll down to the "Desktop notifications" section.
- Select New mail notifications on, Important mail notifications on, or Mail notifications off.
- At the bottom of the page, click Save Changes.
Note: If you use inbox categories and turned on notifications for new mail, you'll only get notifications about messages in your Primary category. If you turned on notifications for important mail, you'll get notifications for everything marked as important.
I can't see my email notifications
If you use Windows 10, you'll see notifications outside of your internet browser. Turn on your Chrome notifications in the Windows Action Center.
Turn notification sounds on or off
- Open Gmail.
- At the top right, click Settings See all settings.
- Scroll to “Desktop notifications.”
- Click New mail notifications on or Important mail notifications on.
- Next to "Mail notification sounds," select a sound from the list.
- To turn off email notification sounds, select None.
- Scroll to the bottom click Save changes.