Gmail desktop notifications let you know when you have a new email. You'll see a pop-up when a new message arrives so you can keep track of your mail even when you’re not looking at Gmail. These notifications are available for Google Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
Turn desktop notifications on or off
- Open Gmail.
- Click the gear in the top right.
- Select Settings.
- Scroll down to the Desktop Notifications section (stay in the "General" tab).
- Choose one of the options:
- Click Save Changes at the bottom of the page.
- You need to be signed in to Gmail and have Gmail open in your browser in order to see desktop notifications.
- If you previously disabled all notifications for your browser, change your settings to allow notifications for mail.google.com. Here's how you can change your notification settings in Chrome.