You can turn on notifications to get alerts on your phone or computer when you get new emails.
Step 1: Choose what kind of notifications to get
If you have multiple accounts in the Gmail app, you need to change this setting for each account.
- Open the Gmail app .
- In the top left, tap Menu .
- Scroll to the bottom, then tap Settings.
- Tap your account.
- In the "Notifications" section, select which types of emails you want notifications for, such as All New Mail or None.
When you see a notification on your iPhone or iPad, you can swipe the message to the left to Reply or Archive.
Step 2: Pick your notification settings on your device
- Go to your device's Settings app.
- Tap Notifications Gmail.
- Choose your notification settings, including sounds.
Note: To check how many unread messages you have, tap the Menu . If you use the default inbox layout, your profile image will show the number of unread messages in your Primary category.
Vivian is a Gmail expert and the author of this help page. Leave her feedback about this help page.