You can restore your contact list to the state it was in at any point within the past 30 days. This is helpful if you want to do any of the following:
- Recover deleted contacts
- Restore contacts after an unsuccessful sync
- Undo a recent import
- Undo a recent merge
Restore your contacts to a previous version
- Open Gmail.
- Click Gmail in the top left, then choose Contacts.
- Click More above your contacts list.
- Click Restore contacts....
- Choose the time you'd like to revert your contacts list to (e.g. 10 minutes ago, one hour ago, one week ago, etc).
- Tip: Make a note of the time that you restore your contacts, in case you'd like to return to where you started.
- Click Restore. You'll see a notification at the top of the screen when the restoration is done.
Undo a restoration
- Right after you restore your contacts, you can immediately undo by clicking Undo in the yellow notification bar at the top of the screen.
- If the notification bar is no longer there, you can always restore your contacts to the time just before you started the initial restore process.
The 24 hour rule for Chat contacts
When you delete a contact in Contacts, it will also get deleted from your Chat list. After the contact is deleted, Chat still remembers the invitation status for that contact for another 24 hours. So if you restore a deleted contact within 24 hours, it will be fully restored in Chat. But if you restore a deleted contact after 24 hours, you'll need to re-invite that person to your Chat list.