Getting someone else's emails
If you receive someone else's emails, check the reasons below to get help.
If the sender added dots to your address, you'll still get that email. No one else sees your emails, and no one can take your account. For example, if your email is firstname.lastname@example.org, you own all dotted versions of your address:
If you still think that the message was meant for someone else, contact the sender to let them know that they mistyped the email address.
Learn more about dots in Gmail addresses.
If you get lots of messages addressed to someone else, check if someone is accidentally forwarding their emails to you.
- On your computer, open a message that looks as though it has been sent to you by mistake.
- Next to Reply , click More .
- Click Show original.
- If you see 'X-Forwarded-For' on the page, someone is forwarding their Gmail messages to your account. Try contacting this person to let them know about the mistake.
Note: If you've been sent the message by 'Bcc', you may not see your email address at the top of the message. To check for an email address in the recipients list, click the Down arrow . If you check from a non-Gmail account, you may not see this information.
Messages sent to @gmail.com and @googlemail.com are the same.
Some countries use @googlemail.com instead, but messages sent to the address will go to the same place.
If you don't see your email address in the 'To' or 'Cc' fields, you may have been sent the message by 'Bcc'. If that’s the case, you won't see your email address at the top of the message.
Spammers sometimes add random email addresses into the 'Bcc' field to try to get people to respond.
Here's how to report the message as spam:
- Open the message or select it in your inbox.
- Click Report Spam .
Getting messages I didn't sign up for
If someone uses your email address to sign up for emails, such as promotions or newsletters, you can use the unsubscribe link to stop these emails.
- On your computer, go to Gmail.
- Open an email from the sender that you want to unsubscribe from.
- Next to the sender's name, click Unsubscribe or Change preferences. If you can't see these options, follow the steps above to block the sender or mark the message as spam.
Note: It may take a few days for messages from the mailing list to stop.