This article explains how to edit and configure data sources you, or someone else, has already created. To learn how to create new data sources, see this article.In this article:
How to edit a data source
To edit an embedded data source, edit the report in which it's embedded.
Edit a data sources from within a report
While you're editing a report, you can see all data sources used by that report in Resources menu:
- Edit your report.
- In the menus, select Resource > Manage added data sources.
- Locate the data source in the list, then to the right, click Edit .
You can also edit the data source for a specific component:
- Edit your report.
- Select a component.
- On the right, in the properties panel, select the SETUP tab.
- In the Data Source section, edit the data source by clicking .
Edit a data source from the home page
You can find and edit all your reusable data sources in the Data sources list on the home page:
- Sign in to Looker Studio.
- At the top of the Looker Studio home page, click Data Sources.
- Browse or search for the data source you wish to edit.
- Click that data source in the list.
Find your way around the data source editor
Data source editor legend
- Data source name. Click to change the name.
- Version history. View and restore previous versions of the data source .
- Next to version history is Share this data source with other people .
- Data source options:
- Data credentials. Determines who can view the data provided by this data source.
- Data freshness. Balance data updates with report performance.
- Community visualizations access. Allow this data source to provide data to community visualizations.
- Field editing in reports. Allows report editors to change field names and aggregations, apply analytical functions, and set field display options without needing to edit the data source.
- Make a copy of this data source.
- Create report. Create a new report from this data source.
- Explore. Create a new exploration from this data source.
- Add a field. Create a calculated field.
- Edit connection. The data source owner can reconnect the data source.
(Not shown: Filter by email address. Add row level security to your data.
- Fields. Dimensions appear in green chips, metrics in blue chips, parameters in purple chips. Click a field to give it a new name. To perform other field actions, click More .
- Field type. Determines the kind of data contained in the field. Click the drop-down menu to change the type. Use caution: changing field types can have a big impact on your reports.
- Aggregation. Determines how the field is summarized. Click the drop-down menu to change the aggregation. Fields with AUTO aggregation can't be changed.
- Calculated fields. Click fx to edit the field formula.
- Refresh fields. Click to update the data source with any structural changes made to the underlying data set.
- Field count. Displays the number of fields in the data source.
Who can edit a data source
To edit a reusable data source, you must either be the owner of or have Can Edit access permission to that data source.
To edit an embedded data source, you must either be the owner of or have Can Edit access permission to the report.
What you can edit
Data source editors can do the following:
- Share the data source
- Rename the data source
- Rename and duplicate fields
- Create calculated fields
- Create parameters
- Change field aggregation
- Change field data type
- Refresh data source fields
- Edit the data source connection
- Change the data credentials
If you are the owner of the data source, you can also:
If you are the owner of the data credentials used by the data source, you can:
- Revoke the data credentials