Looker Studio Pro feature
The features and functionality described in this article are available to Looker Studio Pro users.
A team workspace is a shared location for team collaboration. Team workspaces let Looker Studio Pro users share and manage access to Looker Studio assets at scale.
A team workspace can be shared with individuals or with Google Groups users. To share a team workspace, add members and assign roles to them. Members of a team workspace automatically have access to the content within that team workspace.
Team workspaces can be useful in the following scenarios:
- You can use team workspaces to onboard a group of new hires by granting all of them access to your team content at once, instead of having to grant access individually.
- You can use team workspaces to manage access to environments like prod and pre-prod, which helps you to ensure that the right teams have granular access and sharing permissions.
Access team workspaces
To use team workspaces, you'll need the following:
- Your organization must purchase Looker Studio Pro.
- Your organization's Google Cloud administrator must link Looker Studio to a Google Cloud project.
Once your organization has purchased Looker Studio Pro and linked a Google Cloud project, you will be able to access existing team workspaces from the left navigation. For instructions for creating a new team workspace in a project that you belong to, see the Create, edit, and delete team workspaces article.
To access an existing team workspace, follow these steps:
- Sign in to Looker Studio.
- In the left navigation, expand the listing for your project, or click the project name to open the content list.
- From the list, choose the existing team workspace that you want to access.
Difference between a Sandbox and a team workspace
In Looker Studio, Owned by me includes assets that you create or own. As a Looker Studio Pro subscriber, your organization's administrator can turn off access to Owned by me. You can create content in your Sandbox or in a team workspace instead.
A Sandbox is a location that can be used to develop personal content that includes Looker Studio Pro features. A Sandbox includes assets that you have created or that have been transferred to your ownership.
Content within your Sandbox is not visible to other users unless you share it or move it into a team workspace. However, organization administrators and project owners can see the content within your Sandbox.
Team workspace roles
In a Sandbox, in Owned by me, or in Shared with me, there are four basic roles that govern what you can do with the assets that you have access to:
- Viewers can view the asset, see the data, and interact with viewer-level controls.
- Schedule creators can schedule the asset.
- Editors can modify the asset.
- Owners have complete control over the asset.
Team workspace roles grant additional permissions to all assets in a workspace. You can grant the following roles at the team workspace level:
- Contributors can view and modify all the assets in the workspace. All members of a team workspace have the capabilities that are provided by the contributor role.
- Content managers can add members to and remove members from the workspace.
- Managers have complete control over the assets in the workspace and can add, remove, and define roles for all the members of the workspace.
Learn more about roles and permissions.