The following policies apply to all formats, including Reviews, Photos, and Videos. Content that does not meet these criteria may be rejected from publication on Google Maps.
Contributions to Google Maps should accurately represent the location in question. Where contributions distort truth, we will remove content. This includes reviews, photos, or videos not related to the location or business where they are tagged. If content is inaccurately placed on the map, or is associated with an incorrect listing, the contribution may be rejected.
Reviews are automatically processed to detect inappropriate content like fake reviews and spam. We may take down reviews that are flagged in order to comply with Google policies or legal obligations.
We don’t allow users to post content to harassother people or businesses, or encourage others to participate in harassment.
- Content that contains a specific threat of harm against individuals or defined groups of people that would make a reasonable person fear for their mental or physical safety or well being.
- Content that results in unwanted sexualization or objectification of a person, including claims about a person’s sexual activities, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Google Maps products are designed to help users navigate and explore the world around them. At Google, we believe that all people, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, disability, age, nationality, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, caste, or any other protected status, have a right to access information and participate in its exchange without being subjected to hate speech.
Do not post or share content that includes any form of hate speech.
- Direct calls to action to commit violence against protected individuals or groups.
- Content that is dehumanizing, belittling, or vilifies individuals or groups based on a protected characteristic.
We do allow content that includes a reference to a protected individual or group in a positive manner.
Google Maps should be a place of respect—even in disagreement—among users. For that reason, we don’t allow users to post offensive content.
- Using Google products to attack other individuals or groups.
- Content that is clearly and deliberately provocative.
- Unsubstantiated allegations of unethical behavior or criminal wrongdoing.
We do allow content that describes negative experiences in a respectful manner.
We don’t allow content that contains private or confidential information such as credit card details, medical records, or government–issued identification—whether yours or someone else’s.
Contributions to Google Maps should reflect a genuine experience at a place or business. Fake engagement is not allowed and will be removed.
- Paying, incentivising or encouraging the posting of content that does not represent a genuine experience.
- Content that is not based on a real experience and does not accurately represent the location or product in question.
- Content that has been incentivized by a business in exchange for discounts, free goods and/or services.
- Content that has been posted by a competitor to undermine a business or product’s reputation.
- Content that has been posted from multiple accounts to manipulate a place’s rating.
Using Google Maps to mislead others is against the spirit of delivering useful information to assist users as they explore the world around them. Don’t use Google Maps to impersonate any person, group, or organization.
- Content posted or shared seeking to impersonate any person, group, or organization.
- Content that is pretending to be a verified authoritative source.
We do allow content that contains alternative names for a person or organization where the content is not attempting to mislead others.
False, inaccurate, or deceptive information can cause significant harm to individuals, businesses, and society. For that reason, we don’t allow users to post misinformation.
- Harmful content that contains deceptive or misleading health or medical information.
- Harmful content that contains deceptive or misleading information about civic processes.
- Harmful content of newsworthy events or civil discourse that has been manipulated to deceive or mislead users.
We do allow content from verifiable authoritative sources.
Misleading information can impact the quality of information on Google Maps. For this reason, we don’t allow individuals to use Google Maps to mislead or deceive others, or make misrepresentations.
- False or misleading accounts of the description or quality of a good or service.
- Distorting or omitting facts to scam other users.
- Distorting or omitting information that could have an undue impact on user decision making.
- Content that is based on a conflict of interest.
- Posting content that tricks users into revealing confidential information, downloading unwanted or malicious software, or subjects them to phishing or baiting.
We will remove obscene and profane contenton Google Maps.
- Content using profanity or obscenity to offend other users or emphasize criticism.
We do allow inoffensive uses of words that may be considered profanity in other contexts.
Google Maps is a place for safe exploration of the world around us. For that reason, we don't allow sexually explicit content.
- Pornography or the depiction of sexual acts, genitals, or fetishes intended to be sexually gratifying.
- Content that includes nude genitalia.
- Content that glorifies or promotes bestiality.
- Content that glorifies or promotes sexually explicit content or behavior.
We may allow content that is otherwise considered sexually explicit for an educational, documentary, scientific, or artistic purpose if the content is related to the point of interest and sufficient information is provided for users to understand the context.
Google Maps is a place for users to find useful and appropriate information. For that reason, we do not allow adult-themed content.
- Non-explicit pornography or any content intended to be sexually gratifying.
- Any content that sexualizes inanimate objects.
- Overtly, sexually suggestive poses in which the subject is nude, blurred, or minimally clothed.
- Non-commercial content related to sex toys.
We may allow content that is otherwise considered adult-themed for an educational, documentary, scientific, or artistic purpose if the content is related to the point of interest, and sufficient information is provided for users to understand the context.
We may also allow minimally clothed individuals presented in a non-sexualized manner.
On Google Maps, we strive to make sure the information we provide results in a positive experience for those using our product. For this reason, we don’t allow violent or gory content involving people or animals.
- Violent or gory content involving people or animals intended to be shocking, sensational, or gratuitous.
- Graphic violence that includes material amounts of blood, serious injuries, or death to animals or people.
- Content that contains animal cruelty.
Regulated, dangerous, & illegal
For some products or services subject to controls and local regulations, you must follow certain guidelines when posting content. The content you upload may not feature calls to action or offers for the sale of products or services that are subject to local legal regulations. This includes, but is not limited to, alcohol, gambling, tobacco, guns, health and medical devices, regulated pharmaceuticals, adult services, and financial services.
The content shouldn’t display:
- Links to a landing page where it is possible to purchase restricted goods or services.
- Email address and/or phone numbers to contact for the purchase of restricted goods.
- Promotional offers for restricted goods or services. For example, you shouldn’t upload content that displays deals, coupons, pricing information or other promotions for a restricted product or service.
Note that incidental depictions of these products are excluded from this policy. Examples include:
- Images of menus.
- Images where alcoholic beverages are present but not the main focus.
Google Maps is a place for safe communications between users. For this reason, we don’t permit users to post dangerous content.
- Content that facilitates or encourages serious physical harm to health, safety, property, animals, or the environment.
- Content that promotes dangerous activities that could result in serious physical harm to the person committing the act, those around them, or animals.
- Content encouraging minors to participate in dangerous activities or use dangerous items.
- Content that facilitates misuse of inherently dangerous items.
- Instructional content for creation or preparation of dangerous items.
We do allow general discussion about goods, services, or activities that could be harmful or dangerous as long as the discussion does not include promotion of or directions for its harmful use.
We don't accept content that is illegal or depicts illegal activity.
- Images or any other content that infringes on anyone else’s legal rights, including copyright. For more information or to file a DMCA request, review our copyright procedures.
- All sexual abuse imagery and all content that presents children in a sexual manner.
- Content on dangerous or illegal acts such as: rape, organ sale, human trafficking..
- Illegal products and services: endangered animal products, illegal drugs, prescription drugs diverted to the illegal market.
- Images of graphic or gratuitous violence, or which promote violence.
- Content produced by or on behalf of terrorist groups.
For any other legal issues, please select the “Copyright or other legal issues” tab on the report a problem feature.
- Content that sexually exploits or presents children in a sexual manner.
- Content that contains predatory behavior, condones, glorifies, or presents predatory behavior in a positive light.
- Content that contains depictions of abuse of minors or condones, glorifies, or presents abuse of minors in a positive light.
- Content that depicts nudity of apparent minors, even if it does not fall within the above categories.
We will remove violating content and take appropriate action, which may include reporting to relevant authorities or law enforcement, limiting access to product features, and disabling accounts.
How can users report violations?
- To report content on a Google product that may exploit a child, click Report abuse. If you find content elsewhere on the internet, please contact the appropriate agency in your country directly.
- If you believe a child is in danger of or has been subject to abuse, exploitation, or trafficking, contact the police immediately. If you have already made a report to the police and still need help, or you have concerns a child is being or was being endangered on our products or services, you can report the behavior to Google.
Google Maps prohibits terrorist content and the use of this service by terrorist organizations for any purpose, including recruitment.
- Content that incites violence, promotes terrorist acts or celebrates terrorist attacks.
- Content produced by or on behalf of terrorist groups.
We may allow content related to terrorism for an educational, documentary, scientific, or artistic purpose if sufficient information is provided for users to understand the context.
Only post content that is based on your experience or questions about experiences at a specific location.
We don’t allow content which contains general, political, or social commentary or personal rants.
We don’t allow the following content related to COVID-19 because we consider it off-topic:
- Medical misinformation that contradicts well-established, stable medical consensus, such as the World Health Organization’s (WHO) guidance on the treatment, prevention, diagnosis, transmission or existence of COVID-19.
- Criticism of a business for enforcing COVID safety measures for the protection of its employees and customers, including but not limited to enhanced cleanliness and hygiene practices, changes in business hours, social distancing protocols, mask requirements, negative test requirements, and proof of vaccination requirements.
Don’t post content for advertising or solicitation purposes.
- Promotional or commercial content.
- Posting email addresses, phone numbers, social media links, or links to other websites in your reviews.
We don’t allow the posting of repetitive content or gibberish on Google Maps because it dilutes useful information Google Maps provides its users.
- Posting the same content multiple times or posting content for the same place from multiple accounts.
- Posting content with no meaning in any language, such as a group of characters.