Google Kids Space is an Android tablet experience with content to help kids discover, create, and grow. Kids can access apps, books, and videos that are targeted to their age and interests.
Google Kids Space recommends quality content for your kid based on interests they choose. Kids can even customize their experience when they create their own character.
In Google Kids Space, each kid has a separate user space, so multiple kids can use the same tablet.In Google Kids Space, users have a choice of five tabs with different content in each: Home, Play, Read, Watch, and Make. Content includes apps and books from Google Play and videos from Youtube Kids. Apps and books are reviewed by children’s education and media specialists.
Google Kids Space currently only works with supervised Google Accounts for children under the age of consent in their location.
Google Kids Space is only available on certain Lenovo Tab M10 (2nd Generation) tablets starting in fall 2020:
- Lenovo Tab HD M10 (2nd Generation)
- Lenovo SmartTab M10 HD (2nd Generation) with Google Assistant
Set up Google Kids Space
- Turn on the tablet and connect to Wi-Fi.
- When asked who is going to use the device, tap My child.
- If you’ve previously set up the tablet, tap on the Google Kids Space icon .
- Sign into your child’s existing Google Account or follow the prompts to create a new Google Account for your child.
- When prompted to set up Google Kids Space, tap Set Up.
- Edit your child’s Google Kids Space settings.
- You can manage apps that are already installed. Choose whether your child is allowed to install Google Kids Space-recommended apps with or without your pre-approval. Also choose if you want to hide recommended apps with ads.
- You can change these settings later with Family Link.
- Tap Accept.
- After you review the additional settings and other apps installed on the device, work with your child to choose their interests and create a character. Your child can tap icons to select categories that they enjoy, like animals, cooking, music, or science. Kids can also customize their experience by creating their own special character.
- Tap Done.
Use Google Kids Space
In the Play tab, your child can find apps that are already installed on their device, as well as apps recommended by Google Kids Space. In the Parents’ menu, you can install apps beyond those recommended by Google Kids Space through the Google Play store. Installation requires parental approval unless you change the default setting.Learn how apps in the Play tab are selected.
In the Watch tab, depending on region, your child can access recommended videos from YouTube Kids. Google Kids Space recommends videos from YouTube Kids that are creative and fun. Whether they want to learn, sing, or laugh, kids can explore videos about the topics and characters they love.Before your child can access recommended Watch content, you must set up YouTube Kids.
Manage Google Kids Space settings & apps
You can manage your child’s Google Kids Space apps on your child’s device and through Family Link.
To access settings in Google Kids Space:
- In the bottom right corner, press and hold the Parent menu .
- Tap Device settings.
To go to settings in Family Link:
- Open the Family Link app.
- Select your child.
- Go to Manage settings.
- Select Google Kids Space settings.
In Family Link, you control settings like whether parental approval is required before your child installs apps recommended by Google Kids Space and if your child gets recommended apps with ads.
To find apps installed on the tablet, tap on the Play tab > My Apps.
To uninstall an app:
- Touch and hold the icon of the app in Google Kids Space.
- Tap More Uninstall.
Update a character
Your child can update their character at any time.
- Go to the Home Tab.
- At the left, tap their character.
- Scroll through the menu to select different features for their character.
- In the top right, tap Done.
Their character is found on the home screen automatically.
Your child’s interests may change over time. Kids can update their interests whenever they like.
- In the Play, Watch, Read, or Make tabs, scroll to the far right of the interest icons.
- Tap Change Interests.
- Help your child tap icons to select categories they enjoy. Deselect categories that no longer interest them as much.
- Tap Done.
You can use the Family Link App on your Android or iOS device to manage Google Kids Space settings, manage your child’s screen time, block and unblock apps, change YouTube Kids settings, and manage other Google services for your child’s Google Account.