Introduction to conversion tracking
Hotel Ads conversion tracking can show you what happens when users visit your website after clicking on a Hotel Ad. This includes whether they booked, which hotel they booked, the value of the booking, and other information.
By knowing this, you'll also know which Hotel Ads are good for your business, allowing you to invest more wisely and boost your return on investment (ROI).
This section includes the following topics:
- Go to the Hotel Ads Center and navigate to Tools > Conversion Tracking.
- Copy the appropriate snippet and replace variables with code that inserts confirmed booking details at run time.
- Install the snippet on your site's booking confirmation page.
- Use the Conversion Tracking tool to:
- Verify that your snippet is firing.
- Enable conversion tracking on your account.
- Certify, if applicable, that the booking reference parameter has been obfuscated.
- If issues arise, use the Conversion Tracking tool to check the status of parameters and whether the pixel is firing where and when you expect it to.
Conversion tracking flow
The following steps illustrate the conversion tracking flow:
An end-user searches for a hotel room and is presented with several ads.
The end-user selects an itinerary, chooses a room, provides details about themselves, and books the room.
The hotel's website sends the end-user to their booking confirmation page.
The hotel's website optionally populates the conversion tracking snippet's variables with the booking details and sends the data to Google.
Google receives the snippet's call and adds this conversion information to the hotel's report data.
Why use conversion tracking
To get the most out of Hotel Ads conversion tracking, the snippet code sends certain data values with each conversion to Google. Google can use the results to give you information about the following:
- Return On Ad Spend (ROAS)
- Cost per acquisition
- Booked value
- Average booking value
- Average daily rate
- Average length of stay
- Advance booking window
Note: Conversion tracking is a key signal for partners who use Smart Bidding strategies, including CPA, Target ROAS, and Enhanced CPC (learn more about Smart Bidding with Hotel Ads campaigns). You can’t participate in these bidding strategies without first setting up conversion tracking.
Conversion tracking setup process
The general process for setting up conversion tracking is as follows:
- Open the Conversion Tracking tool in the Hotel Ads Center, click on “Click here to get your snippet” and copy the snippet html.
- Modify the snippet to set the values of the variables. Replace the $$value_to_replace$$ with code that dynamically sets the values on your booking confirmation page.
- If you would like be able to cross reference bookings in reports, populate hct_booking_xref with a unique identifier. If that identifier is the user’s booking confirmation code, you must find a way to obfuscate the code.
- Add your completed snippet between the
<body></body>tags of the booking confirmation page.
- If there are other Google snippets already installed on the page (such as AdWords Conversion Tracking), position the Hotel Ads Conversion Tracking snippet after the others.
- The code snippet can be used safely on both secure (https://) and non-secure (http://) pages.
- Verify that your snippet is working making a test booking while monitoring the network traffic. You can also confirm the pixel fired and was received by Google by using the Conversion Tracking tool.
- Enable conversion tracking in the Conversion Tracking tool. Within 24 hours Google will validate your setup, at which point, your conversion data is being tracked.
For detailed instructions, see Setting up conversion tracking.
Conversion data is surfaced in the following reports:
The more data (in the form of variables in your snippet) that you provide to Google, the more meaningful your reports will be.
The following guidelines apply to Hotel Ads conversions:
- The lookback window (from ad click to booking) is 30 days by default. You can set this value to anything between 1 and 30 days (contact your TAM to do so).
- Each booking is counted as a conversion; cancellations are not tracked.
- In some cases, Google reports more than one conversion per Hotel Ads click (for example, if a user books two rooms within the attribution window).
The following additional resources are useful for understanding conversion tracking and diagnosing issues with it:
- Track sales and other conversions (AdWords): General information on conversion tracking and how Google uses the data.
- Check your conversion tracking tag (AdWords): Extensive troubleshooting steps.
- Conversion Tracking FAQ
- Conversion Tracking tool