Hangouts Chat and Meet together are the next version of Hangouts. They will replace the original version (classic Hangouts) in G Suite.
Like classic Hangouts, Hangouts Chat has both direct messages and group messages.
- Direct messages—Direct messages sent from classic Hangouts or Hangouts Chat can be viewed and replied to in the other service.
Note: Direct messages from people outside your organization appear only in classic Hangouts because Hangouts Chat doesn’t currently support external chat.
- Group conversations—Group conversations in classic Hangouts or Hangouts Chat can't be viewed or replied to in the other service. Group messages are not compatible between the two services.
We recommend recreating any group conversations users want to continue in Hangouts Chat.
|Type||Chat > Classic||Classic > Chat|
|Emoji||Forwards to Classic||Forwards to Chat|
|Images||Sends a link to message||Forwards to Chat|
|Videos||Sends a link to message||Sends a link to message|
|Files||Sends a link to message||N/A - can’t send files|
|Stickers||N/A - doesn’t have stickers||Forwards to Chat|
|Locations||N/A - can’t share location||Forwards to Chat|
|Reactions||Won’t show up in Classic||N/A - can’t add reactions|
Voice calls and text messages
- If your domain is set up to use Google Voice for G Suite, you can make calls from Hangouts Chat. Hangouts Chat opens Voice for G Suite to place calls. You can't currently use Hangouts Chat to send text messages. We’re working on more integrations with Google Voice in the future.
- If you use classic Hangouts to call or text message a Hangouts Chat user, it rings the person’s device or goes to their text messaging client.
- Video calls from Hangouts Chat to a classic Hangouts user—Hangouts Chat uses Meet for video meetings. Classic users receive a link to the meeting.
- Video calls from classic Hangouts to a Hangouts Chat user—Classic Hangouts has built-in video calling and Chat users receive a link to the meeting.
Chat history setting
- If participants use a mix of classic Hangouts and Hangouts Chat, the classic Hangouts history on/off settings are used in chats. Learn more
- 1:1 direct messages—All 1:1 direct messages from both classic Hangouts and Hangouts Chat are searchable in Gmail.
- Group messages & rooms—All classic Hangouts group messages are searchable in Gmail. Hangouts Chat group messages and rooms are searchable in Hangouts Chat.
If you have Hangouts Chat retention rules or holds in Google Vault, messages in Gmail, classic Hangouts, and Hangouts Chat are retained according to those settings.