Attach a file to a message
You can attach files from your computer, mobile device, or Google Drive directly to Hangouts Chat messages. You can send files up to 200 MB in BMP, GIF, JPEG, PNG, WBMP, and HEIC format. You can’t send certain files (details below).
When you attach a file in a room, all members of the room, and anyone who joins or is invited to the room later, can comment on the file.
- In Chat, go to the message or conversation and tap Insert image .
- Select the file you want to send.
- Tap Send .
To take a photo and send it:
- Tap Take photo .
- Take a photo.
- Tap Send .
File types blocked in Chat
There are several reasons why you might get an upload error in Hangouts Chat. Chat blocks files that might spread viruses, such as executable files or certain links. To keep up with harmful software, Chat regularly updates the file types that aren’t allowed.
You can’t attach certain types of files, including:
- .ADE, .ADP, .APK, .BAT, .CAB, .CHM, .CMD, .COM, .CPL, .DLL, .DMG, .EXE, .HTA, .INS, .ISP, .JAR, .JS, .JSE, .LIB, .LNK, .MDE, .MSC, .MSI, .MSP, .MST, .NSH .PIF, .SCR, .SCT, .SHB, .SYS, .VB, .VBE, .VBS, .VXD, .WSC, .WSF, .WSH.
This list includes any compressed form (.gz or .bz2 files) or files found in archives, such as .zip or .tgz files.
- Documents with malicious macros.
- Password-protected archives whose content is an archive.