If you use Google Chat, visit the Google Chat Help Center

/hangouts/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Can't download video from hangouts anymore,was working before.When click downlod media,only picture. 3 Recommended Answers 80 Replies 473 Upvotes
1 Update
$0 Updates
1 Recommended Answer
$0 Recommended Answers
1 Relevant Answer
$0 Relevant Answers
Can't download video from hangouts application, as before. Everytime only "download media" select was enough, and video in mp4 format was downloaded. Now only small file is downloaded and not possible to play. Anything changed ?
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (80)
Relevant Answer
I am also having this issue. While viewing the video, "save media" is not an option. Long pressing the video in the chat thread allows me to save, but the file saves as a still image with "can't play video". I have cleared my cache, have the latest version, etc.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hello Michael, thanks for advice. But result same. Same as Kira below. Images are still showing "can't play video".

Any other advice please ? Something needed to change because it was working for ages, but till now.

Thanks,
J.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I can chime in and say I've been experiencing the same issue.
I initially thought the issue was phone specific but it has persisted through factory resets and even a phone change.

I can long press a video in hangouts chat to download it, however the downloaded file will not appear in my gallery, and trying to play it from my downloads folder either results in an error or a still image depending on the player I use. The downloaded file is also unplayable if it's transferred to a computer.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Having the same problem here. Did everything I could I even tried downloading the vids from  desktop version, same issue. Probably the latest update is the cause. Can't be a coincidence that we're all having the same issue just recently. I think we might have to wait for another update to come out that would solve this.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same for me..
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same here,  tried saving,  comes up as error.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same here, every time i try to save a video in my gallery it says error  gggrrrr
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
It want let me video call or save to gallery 
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
it will not let me download mp4 videos from hangouts either because when i do, it shows up in my download folder as an error and i cant open it... please help
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue.
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Android version 9
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same issue on Pixel 2. Android v9. Hangouts 30.0.239887060.
Clearing hangouts cache, data and reinstalling hangouts does not fix.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
OK GOOGLE, HELP GOOGLE, seems like several users have same issue. Any help ? Any developer ? Any update ?
Thanks,
J.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I was able to download a video when I used an older phone.( S5) instead of the s9. Downloaded as normal.   And then forwarded it as an email to the s9.   Annoying, but worked.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I'm also having this same issue. it's very annoying as I rely on this chat service heavily for it's ease of phone to desktop messaging transition.. Please Google fix this ASAP!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
FYI - On my computer using hangouts via a browser, https://hangouts.google.com (ack gag) you can download videos from the conversation window.

It would be nice if they fix the Android app ......... I can't carry my computer in my pocket

Bill
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
android hangouts in app description says it no longer allows saving such media. must download an older version before the "upgrade"
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I too am having this issue.  Must be an Android problem?  If I go to Hangouts on my iPad it will then download.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I can download the videos on to my chromebook, but can't share videos to Hangouts with my chromebook!  So NOWWWWW I have to download the video off a hangouts chat, send it to myself in FB messenger, go to my phone,..download the video from messenger, then I'm FINALLY able to add it to a different hangouts chat. Soooo annoying!  I can drag and drop pictures all day long from one chat group to another, which is great, but it won't let you drag and drop videos. Come on Google...get this fixed!!!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same exact issue here
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I still have this issue as well
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
We have the same problem... google please fix it
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I found a way around this issue less complicated than my last post. If you use google photos and click the pictures and videos you want to share, it will create an album to which it will also create a link that you will be able to share to hangouts. Then the videos are able to be downloaded from Hangouts. If you don't want to create an album, just click the video you want to share and instead of uploading (which sometimes takes FOREVER) click "create link" ..seconds later a link is created and share the link. While viewing a video that is shared by a link, there will be 3 dots in the upper right hand corner..if not visible, tap screen while its playing and it should pop up. Select download and viola ability to save videos again until someone at Google figures something out!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Roberta, good advice for the future, but someone sent me a video over Hangouts I want to download now. Any way I can get it downloaded without having them send it elsewhere?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Having the same issue and it is frustrating. Regression testing improvement opportunity Google? Thanks
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have the same issue
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Still no fix huh. Awesome. I specifically use Hangouts because the quality of the pics and videos are superior to other apps. Please fix Google, long time user of Hangouts.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Only workaround I can see is using a screen record app. Best free one imo is DU Recorder (Android). Hope that helps 👍
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Try using the desktop site or from ur computer
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Solution yet?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
FRIENDLY PING
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Simply confirming the same issue to keep this raised. 

28 June 2019 Hangouts Video Send Test
DEVICE: 
Google Pixel 2 XL
Android version 9
security patch level 5 June 2019
87% battery

INTERNET CONNECTION: 
5G home wifi getting 30.7Mbps Down, 19.8Mbps Up

ATTEMPT - DOWNLOAD WIFE'S 61SEC VIDEO AND TRY TO SEND HERS (bc I'm not able to send long videos at all):
1) ...nope... held down on video and clicked Save Media but this only downloads a 22kb .mp4 file to my phone's Download/Files folder that says "Can't play video" when trying to open
2) on laptop Chrome browser with Hangouts, downloaded video to Windows desktop and get 1.75mb video that can play
marked this as an answer
eat sweets, be happy. I am a volunteer.
Relevant Answer
This is an issue that Google is still looking into, and we'll update as soon as we have more information to pass around.

Please do leave feedback about this from the Hangouts app, and be sure to tag it with #imagedownloads

Thanks for your patience.

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
pls help try to fix the issue #imagedownload
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is a fundamental flaw that is now 3 months old. That's unacceptable for a messaging application. It's time to look elsewhere for a functioning application.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I agree hangout sucks right now
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
uninstall update.. then working download.. try it..
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same here. Really limits the use as a group messaging app. Not that Google cares.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Yes having same problem now just image not video need be fixed
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Yup. Same issue. Can save. But won't play.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same here. Was working great. Now it says cannot play video after it QUICKLY downloads.  Frustrating!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Having the same issues. They need to fix it
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am having  the same here  . Did play  the download from  hanging out but want  play it saying  error  on it
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Google is still looking into this issue. Please do leave feedback from the Hangouts app, and be sure to include the tag #imagedownloads

Thanks for your continued patience.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Ok. Thank you 
Can't we create group on hangouts?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Unacceptable to be taking this long. Days/weeks - sure.  Months (plural) and still no fix - unacceptable.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
@baldybeardedguy
5 months to fix this bug (it was 1st noted back in Feb with the Feb Hangouts update) is not good customer relations.  I hope your developers would be a little more responsive in fixing a feature that used to work.  

My suggestion to the Hangouts users is to send lots of feedback (weekly?) to get Google's attention. Do this by going into the Hangouts App, choose Help & Feedback then choose the Send Feedback item. Let them know you want it fixed and add the #imagedownload tag

Send feedback from the Hangouts App, not from this forum to get developers to look at it.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I've got  the same difficulty.  Any solution yet?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
They are discontinuing Hangouts, so why put the effort into fixing it?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Install Google Chrome extension (works in Windows with Chrome), lauch hangouts then right-click on the video to save link to. In this case because my default video player is VLC, the video file will be associated with VLC file format and will play
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
កូនខ្មែរអង្គរឯការណាស់នៅភូមិដក់ពរ
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Can confirm that this is still a problem as I just tried to download a video. Interestingly enough, even in the app itself if I click on the video's Info, it says 0 Kb
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I am told that they are still looking into this issue. Please do leave feedback from the Hangouts app, and be sure to include the tag #imagedownloads . Unique feedback is the key. One per account.

Thanks for your continued patience.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
The app works for sending video but it is slooooow. The version before the update was so much better. I have a new Samsung Galaxy S5e tablet and I have yet been unable to uninstall update.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Reverted back to factory default and sure enough it worked.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Do vs high go to to
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Fix this please.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Still a problem
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is happening to me as well.  It looks like the latest update to Google Hangouts was on May 2nd, 2019, 3 months ago.

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same problem here - started suddenly and been happening for months.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Same here, can't save videos anymore since months ago. So annoying because i used to love hangouts, i hope it gets fixed soon.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
mail not dounlod
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Problem exists here too. Android user for years- never had an issue. What's going on?
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/hangouts/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic