Sending and receiving messages
Can’t start a Hangout after turning on Google Voice text messages
If you turned on Google Voice text messages in Hangouts and receive an error message when you try to start a Hangout, you may need to change your invitation settings.
If your setting for "Everyone else" not in your Google+ circles is set to ignore Hangouts invites, you won't receive new invitations from phone numbers.
To resolve this issue, you can change your invitation settings to allow people outside of your circles to start Hangouts with you.
Here's how to change the setting:
When you change your setting, even though people outside of your circles can send you Hangouts invites, you can still decline them.
If you're still having problems sending and receiving text messages, visit the Hangouts Help Forum.
Issues with Hangouts on Windows 8
However, you can still use Hangouts by switching from the Windows 8-style UI to Desktop mode.
- Switch to desktop mode in Chrome (Read the first section titled, “Switch between Chrome on the desktop and Chrome in Windows 8 mode”)
Hangouts does not support certain mics and webcams
Hangouts does not support the following devices:
- Logitech webcams (C310, C910, etc.) don't work on Mac OS X 10.6.7 or earlier
- VideoPower Plus software for webcams: For Windows machines only, the latest version of the cc.vdo file is not compatible.
- Tascam US-144
- Realtek ALC883 Audio Codec, Version 184.108.40.20613
- Conexant 20585 SmartAudio HD
Audio Issues with Windows 7 on Lenovos when using the built-in microphone
We've received reports from users experiencing audio issues while using Windows 7 on Lenovos. If you're using the built in microphone on your Lenovos device and others report that they hear an echo when speaking to you, please try the following steps:
- Right click on the speaker icon in the bottom right.
- Choose Recording devices.
- Right click on Internal Microphone and then select Properties.
- Select the Advanced tab.
- Uncheck Enable audio enhancements.
- Press OK.
Third party audio packages may cause Hangouts to crash
Certain third party audio packages can cause Google Hangouts plugin to crash on Macintosh OS X.
Thanks to your reports, we’ve identified an issue affecting the Google Hangouts plugin in Macintosh OS X which causes it to crash unexpectedly. The crashes in this case can happen after a group video call or after a 1:1 call. This particular crash is caused by incompatibilities with third party audio or video packages, such as Rogue Amoeba’s Audio Hijack Pro or the 3ivx, Wirecast, Filter Suite, or QuickTime component.
While both we and Rogue Amoeba are working to resolve the issue, you can use the following as a workaround in the meantime:
- Start Audio Hijack Pro
- Under the Audio Hijack Pro menu, click Install Extras.
- In the Instant On feature, click Instant On Preferences.
- Click the + button to add an exclusion.
- Add the following, /Library/Application\ Support/Google/GoogleTalkPlugin.app.
If you experience crashes with 3ivx, try uninstalling any 3ivx software to see if it resolves the issue. Doing so should resolve Hangouts plugin crashes due to this incompatibility. We’re still investigating other types of crashes, however, so please keep reporting them to us as they happen. The best place to let us know is our user help forum.
General known issues
"Something's not right" error message
Networks at businesses and schools are sometimes set to allow access only to certain web sites, like mail.google.com. This can prevent Hangouts from loading.
If you are on a network with restricted access, you may need to ask your network administrator to whitelist the following domains to use Hangouts:
My contact is blocked in Hangouts
If you've blocked someone from your Google account from a Google product like Google+, the person will also be blocked in your Hangouts.
Remember, if you unblock someone in Hangouts, it will also unblock them in your other Google account services.
Plug-in 1603 error message
In Microsoft Windows, if you encounter a 1603 error during installation, you can run the Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter . After running the utility, upgrades and installations should proceed normally.
The Hangouts app disappeared from Chrome
If the Hangouts app has disappeared in your Chrome browser and the browser recently prompted you to reset settings, you may need to re-enable the Hangouts Chrome extension to use the app again:
- Go to the Chrome Web Store
- Click Enable this item at the top of the Hangouts page.
Read the Chromium blog for more information.
Older Google+ app with Hangouts on Android device isn't working
If the Google+ app with Hangouts isn't working on your Android device, you may need to download the latest version of the Hangouts app from the Play Store.
The following Google+ app versions will no longer work with Hangouts:
- Google+ Android 220.127.116.11289806
- Google+ Android 18.104.22.168148430
- Google+ Android 22.214.171.124469528
- Google+ Android 126.96.36.199049528
- Google+ Android 188.8.131.52177215
- Google+ Android 184.108.40.206809231
- Google+ Android 220.127.116.11060433
- Google+ Android 18.104.22.168448346
- Google+ Android 22.214.171.124338848
- Google+ Android 126.96.36.199747389
You can also visit the Hangouts forum for help from other users, top contributors, and experts.