Fix problems with Hangouts
If you can’t send a message or can’t install the Hangouts plug-in, you may be able to try and fix it. Select your problem below:
Can't send a message on your phone
If you can’t send messages, you may have Internet connection problems. Try these steps:
- Check mobile data: Make sure that data is turned on and that you have a strong signal.
- Check Wi-Fi signal: If your signal is weak or not working, turn Wi-Fi off and then on again.
- Sign out of the Hangouts app and then sign back in: Learn how to sign out.
Can't send a message from your computer
If you have server issues, you may see a red error . If you see this error, send your message again. If you still get the error after a few minutes, send the message again.
What happens when you get this error
- The message may not be stored in your message history.
- The message may not be shown on other devices.
- If your contact isn't online, they may not get your message when they sign in again.
"Trying to reconnect" error
Your computer is trying to connect to the server and you'll get your messages when you're connected to Hangouts again.
Fix the error
Make sure that you're connected to the Internet and that these domains aren't blocked by your network administrator:
Can't install the Hangouts plug-in
If you have problems installing the Hangouts plug-in or receive a message asking you to reinstall it, check that your settings are correct.
If you use Chrome, you don't need the plug-in. You only need the plug-in if you use Safari, Internet Explorer or another browser.
- Download and install the Hangouts plug-in package again.
- Make sure that the plug-in is enabled.
- Safari: Click Preferences Security Plug-in settings. Find the Hangouts plug-in (Google Talk Plugin or Google Talk Plugin Video Renderer). Make sure that the plug-in is allowed.
- Internet Explorer: Click Tools Manage add-ons. Under 'Show', click All add-ons. Find the Hangouts plug-in (Google Talk Plugin or Google Talk Plugin Video Renderer). Make sure that the plug-in is turned on.
- If you use Internet Explorer, make sure that you have the 32-bit version (not 64-bit).
- If you use Windows 8, switch to desktop mode to allow the plug-in to work.
- Check your browser's extensions. Turn off any that enforce "click to run".
If you still have issues, try these steps:
When you message or talk with someone on Hangouts, your information is secured, including:
- Hangouts conversations and video calls in all devices.
- Meetings through Chromebox for Meetings.
Audio and video
- To improve audio and video quality, Hangouts calls use a direct peer-to-peer connection when possible, instead of routing through a server. Learn more about peer-to-peer connections.
- When you dial a phone number from a Hangout, audio is encrypted until it reaches the operator's network. But telephone operators are responsible for the audio within operators' networks.
Browser freezes when screen sharing is selected in Hangouts
To fix it, upgrade the computer's video adaptors and video drivers to the latest version.
Classic Hangouts video calls no longer work with the Firefox browser. This is because Firefox no longer supports plug-ins, which are required for classic Hangouts voice and video calls.
Use a supported browser instead.
Get more help
If you need more help, visit the Hangouts Help Forum.