If you can’t send a message, or can’t install the Hangouts plugin, you may be able to try and fix it. Select your problem below:
Can't send a message on your phone
If you can’t send messages, you may have Internet connection problems. Try these steps:
- Check cellular data: Make sure data is turned on and that you have a strong signal.
- Check Wi-Fi signal: If your signal is not working, turn Wi-Fi off and then back on.
- Sign out of the Hangouts app and then sign back in: Learn how to sign out.
Can't send a message from your computer
If you have server issues, you may see a red error . If you see this error, send your message again. If you still get the error after a few minutes, send the message again.
What happens when you get this error
- The message may not be stored in your message history.
- The message may not show on other devices.
- If your contact isn't online, they may not get your message when they sign back in.
"Trying to reconnect" error
Your computer is trying to connect to the server and you'll get your messages when you're connected to Hangouts again.
Fix the error
Make sure you're connected to the Internet and that these domains aren't blocked by your network administrator:
Can't install the Hangouts plugin
If you have problems installing the Hangouts plugin, or receive a message asking you to reinstall it, check that your settings are correct.
If you use Chrome, you don't need the plugin. You only need the plugin if you use Safari, Internet Explorer, or another browser.
- Download and install the Hangouts plugin package again.
- Make sure the plugin is enabled.
- Safari: Click Preferences Security Plug-in Settings. Find the Hangouts plugin (Google Talk Plugin, or Google Talk Plugin Video Renderer). Make sure the plugin is allowed.
- Internet Explorer: Click Tools Manage add-ons. Under "Show," click All add-ons. Find the Hangouts plugin (Google Talk Plugin, or Google Talk Plugin Video Renderer). Make sure the plugin is turned on.
- If you use Internet Explorer, make sure you have the 32-bit version (not 64-bit).
- If you use Windows 8, switch to desktop mode to allow the plugin to work.
- Check your browser's extensions. Turn off any that use "click to run."
If you still have issues, try these steps:
When you message or talk with someone on Hangouts, your information is secured, including:
- Hangouts conversations and video calls in all devices.
- Meetings through Chromebox for Meetings.
Audio and video
- To improve audio and video quality, Hangouts calls use a direct peer-to-peer connection when possible, instead of routing through a server. Learn more about peer to peer connections.
- When you dial a phone number from a Hangout, audio is secured until it reaches the carrier network. Telephone carriers are responsible for the audio within carrier networks.
Browser freezes when screenshare is selected in Hangouts
To fix it, upgrade the computer's video adapters and video drivers to the latest version.
Hangouts doesn't work on Firefox
Get more help
If you need more help, visit the Hangouts Help Forum.