You can change your Google Account photo and set custom statuses in Hangouts.
Share what you're doing
You can share your current status on any device where you sign in with the same Hangouts account.
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Hangouts app .
- At the top, tap Menu .
- Tap Status.
- In the status box, enter a message, like "in a meeting" or "on vacation," then tap Update.
- To show people which device you’re using or when you last used Hangouts, tap Menu Settings your account Share your status.
- Turn "Last seen" or "Device" on or off.
Change your profile photo
- Open the Hangouts app .
- At the top, tap Menu Settings select an account Manage your account tap your Profile photo.
- Tap Set profile photo.
- Take a photo or choose an existing photo.
Note: Hangouts uses your Google Account's profile photo. Changes made in Hangouts are made to your account as well.