Receive Google Voice calls with Hangouts
If you are a Google Voice user, you can receive calls to your Google Voice number in Hangouts at hangouts.google.com, in Gmail, in the Hangouts Chrome app, and in the mobile apps. Google Voice is currently only available in the U.S.
Important: You can't place or receive emergency service calls using calling in Hangouts.
What you need to get started
Turn on ringing for incoming phone calls in Hangouts on your computer
- Open Hangouts at hangouts.google.com or in Gmail.
- hangouts.google.com: Click menu > Settings.
- Gmail: At the top of your Hangouts list, click menu .
- Check the box next to Ring on incoming phone calls to hear a ring or get a notification whenever you get a phone call.
Calls to your Google Voice number will ring in Hangouts at hangouts.google.com, in Gmail, and in the Hangouts Chrome app, if you have a Google Voice number associated with your account.
When you receive a call you can:
- Accept the call: If you accept, a Hangout window will open and you can talk to the person calling you.
- Ignore the call: If you ignore, the call request goes away. The person won't be notified that you ignored the call.
If you do not want to have calls to your Google Voice number ring you in Hangouts, uncheck the box next to Ring on incoming phone calls.
Megan is a Hangouts expert and the author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.