Important: You can export your classic Hangouts calling data until July 2021. Learn more about changes to Hangouts with Google Voice.
Switch back to Google Voice from classic Hangouts
Phone calls and text messages are no longer available in classic Hangouts. Use Google Voice for phone calls and text messages. You can use Google Voice on your Android or iOS device.
Google Voice gives you a phone number for calls, texts, and voicemails. You can use this number to make domestic and international calls from your web browser and mobile devices. If you're in the US, you can choose your own number.
In addition to using Google Voice for calls, texts, and voicemails, you can also:
- Read voicemail transcripts in your inbox and search them like emails.
- Personalize voicemail greetings.
- Make international calls at low rates.
- Get protection from spam calls and messages.
- Block unwanted callers.
- Screen calls before you answer.
Google Voice saves and processes your call, text, and voicemail information.
Get a classic Hangouts refund
You can ask for a refund for classic Hangouts calls and balances within 6 months of your original purchase. Request a Google Voice or classic Hangouts refund.
Get started with Google Voice
When you turn off Google Voice texts & voicemail in classic Hangouts
- You can read and respond to messages only in Google Voice.
- Google Voice message history from classic Hangouts appears in Google Voice.
- Voicemails are stored in Google Voice and are marked as unread.
- You can access your Google Voice message history in classic Hangouts until September 2021, but new messages won't be accessible in classic Hangouts.