Make calls from Hangouts on iOS
You can place domestic and international calls using a Wi-Fi or data connection (like 4G) through Hangouts on iOS devices. If you have a Google Voice number, you can also receive calls.
Before you get started:
- Data connection: If you use your data connection to make a phone call, you'll be using your cell phone's data plan. Contact your mobile carrier for details about your data coverage and cost.
- Availability: Calling isn't available from some countries, such as Mexico and Argentina. Learn more about where calling is available.
- Contacts: If you're using Hangouts for the first time, add your contacts before making a call. The first time you start a new conversation, Hangouts will ask you whether it can access your iOS contacts. Touch OK.
Make a phone call
- On your iOS device, open the Hangouts app .
- Touch the phone icon .
- In the bottom center of the screen, touch the dial pad icon .
- Enter a phone number. Or search for the person's name in the "Contacts" tab .
- To make the call, touch the contact's name or the phone icon . If your contact has multiple phone numbers, select the one you want to call.
If your call doesn't work or disconnects:
- Calls must have at least a 3G data connection or strong Wi-Fi connection to work.
- Your device must have iOS 7 or up.
- International calls must be dialed with a "+" sign at the start.
- Check cost: Look up the cost through the calling credit page for your Google Account.
- Add credit: Visit the Google Voice billing page through your computer or your iOS device's web browser
- U.S. and Canada: Almost all calls to the U.S. and Canada are free from all countries where Hangouts calling is available. A few destinations in the U.S. and Canada will cost USD 1 cent per minute, depending on the specific phone number and the local currency.
- International calls: Calls to destinations outside of the U.S. and Canada have low international rates.
Megan is a Hangouts expert and author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.