Use Google Voice with Hangouts
You can make and receive calls as well as get your text messages and voicemails for your Google Voice number through Hangouts. To use Google Voice with your Hangouts account, you need to have a U.S. Google Voice account and number.
Almost all calls to the U.S. and Canada are free from all countries where Hangouts calling is available. A few U.S. and Canadian destinations will cost 1 cent per minute (USD), or the listed rate for your local currency. Calls to destinations outside of the U.S. are at low rates.
Calling isn't available from some countries, such as Mexico and Argentina. Learn more about where calling is available.
A Google Voice account is free. Here's how you get a Google Voice number:
- Go to Google Voice.
- Select Get a Google Voice number.
- Complete the steps to pick your new Google number.
Which Hangouts apps you can use with Google Voice
You can make and receive calls, send and receive text messages, and listen to your voicemails on the following devices if you sign in to with your Hangouts account:
- Computers: Google Voice is available in Hangouts at hangouts.google.com, in Gmail, and in the Chrome extension.
- Android devices: After you download the Hangouts dialer, Google Voice is available through the Hangouts app.
- For iOS devices: Download the latest version of the Hangouts app to use Google Voice with it.
Megan is a Hangouts expert and the author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.