Use Google Voice with Hangouts
You can make and receive calls as well as get your text messages and voicemails for your Google Voice number through Hangouts. To use Google Voice with your Hangouts account, you need to have a U.S. Google Voice account and number.
Almost all calls to the U.S. and Canada are free from all countries where Hangouts calling is available. A few U.S. and Canadian destinations will cost USD 1 cent per minute depending on the specific phone number. The 1-cent rate may vary depending on the local currency. You can look up the cost through the calling credit page for your Google Account. You also can make calls to destinations outside of the U.S. and Canada with low international rates.
Calling isn't available from some countries, such as Mexico and Argentina. Learn more about where calling is available.
A Google Voice account is free. Here's how you get a Google Voice number:
- Go to Google Voice.
- Select Get a Google Voice number.
- Complete the steps to pick your new Google number.
Which Hangouts apps you can use with Google Voice
You can make and receive calls, send and receive text messages, and listen to your voicemails. Here are the different ways you can access your Google Voice account through Hangouts.
- Computers: Google Voice is available in Hangouts in Gmail, Google+, and the Chrome extension.
- Android devices: After you download the Hangouts dialer, Google Voice is available through the Hangouts app.
- For iOS devices: Download the latest version of the Hangouts app to use Google Voice with it.