Use Hangouts for a Voice call
About Google Voice and Hangouts
When you call a phone number from Hangouts, you’ll automatically get a basic Google Voice account that allows you to access features including call history and calling credit.
However, in order to receive calls in Hangouts or get access to the complete set of Google Voice features, you must upgrade to a full Google Voice account, which is currently only available in the US.Learn more about Google Voice features
Upgrade to a full Google Voice account and get a Google number
Upgrading to a full Google Voice account is free and gives you access to additional Google Voice features including having one number that rings all your phones, voicemail transcriptions, and the ability to personalize greetings for different callers.
Here’s how you get a Google Voice number:
- Visit www.google.com/voice.
- Select Get a Google Voice number.
- Complete the upgrade steps including picking your new Google number.
How to make a Google Voice call from Hangouts
Here’s how to start phone calls using Hangouts in Gmail, Google+ or Chrome:
- If you’re in Gmail, go to your Hangouts contact list and click Phone. If you’re trying to make a call from Google+ or Chrome, click the drop-down icon on the top right of the contact list and then select Call a phone.
- When you see the list of contacts, click the person you'd like to call.
- A new Hangouts window will pop up to initiate the call.