Fix problems making or receiving phone calls
Select your issue and try the steps to fix your problems.
Can't make a phone call
Can't get a phone call
- Make sure you have a Google Voice account and phone number. To get phone calls in Hangouts, you must have a Google Voice phone number. Google Voice is only available in the U.S.
- If you have Google Voice, make sure that the email address you’re using to sign in to Hangouts is the same as your Google Voice account.
- Make sure you've turned on ring for incoming calls.
If you still have problems:
- Sign out of the Hangouts app and sign back in. Learn how to sign out.
- Visit the Hangouts forum to get help from other people who use Hangouts .
If you can’t call a number that isn't free, you might not have enough calling credit. Learn how to add more credit.
- A few U.S. and Canadian destinations will cost 1 cent per minute (USD).
- You can call some places outside the US and Canada (fees apply), but there are some places that you can’t call from.
- Find the listed rate for your local currency here.
Can’t see the option to make phone calls
If you are outside of the U.S. and don't see the option to make calls, the feature probably isn’t available in your country.
- India (Users in India can make calls to all countries except to locations within India.)
- North Korea
- Russian Federation
- Saudi Arabia
- South Korea
- United Arab Emirates
- Brazilian Portuguese
- English (U.S. and U.K.)
Brenna is a Hangouts expert and the author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.