Make a phone call with Hangouts
You can use Hangouts to call international and domestic phone numbers.
Before you start
- Download the app: Download the latest version of the Hangouts app.
- Check your phone: You need to have Apple mobile operating system version 8 or higher.
- Find out about data rates: If you use your data connection (and your phone’s data plan) to make a phone call, ask your service provider for details about costs.
- See availability: Learn more about where calling is available.
- Get a Google Account: Sign up for a Google account, if you don't already have one.
- Contacts: The first time you start a new conversation, Hangouts will ask if it can use your iPhone contacts. Tap OK.
Make a phone call
When you make a call in Hangouts, your Google Voice, Project Fi, or verified phone number will show as the outbound caller ID. Learn how to verify your phone number.
- Open the Hangouts app .
- Tap the Dialer tab .
- At the bottom, tap Dialpad .
- Enter a phone number. You can also search for them in the Contacts tab .
- Tap the contact's name or tap Call .
See your call history
To see your call history, tap the Phone tab .
You’ll see people who called your Google Voice (if the person's name is in your phone or Hangouts contacts).
Buy calling credit
- Open a web browser.
- Open Google Voice and sign in.
- On the left, tap Add credit.
- Follow the instructions to finish adding your credit.
If your call doesn't work:
- The country may not support Hangouts calling. Learn where Hangouts calling isn’t available.
- Check if you have strong Internet connection (or at least 3G data).
- Make sure that you have enough credit in your account.
- If you're outside the US, use "+" and the country code when dialing or texting your contacts and phone numbers (even if it's local to your home or to where you're traveling).
Brenna is a Hangouts expert and the author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.