Make a call through Hangouts from your computer
You can make calls through Hangouts at hangouts.google.com, in Gmail, and in the Chrome extension if you have a Google Account. You can also make calls through the Hangouts app on Android devices or iOS devices.
Almost all calls to the U.S. and Canada are free from all countries where Hangouts calling is available. A few U.S. and Canadian destinations will cost 1 cent per minute (USD), or the listed rate for your local currency. Calls to destinations outside of the U.S. are at low rates, but calling isn’t available to all locations.
To receive calls, text messages, and voicemails in Hangouts, you need to have a Google Voice account, which is currently only available in the U.S.
You cannot place or receive emergency service calls in Hangouts.Chrome users
If you're using a Chrome browser, you don't need a Hangouts plugin. But you do need to allow Hangouts to access your computer's microphone so that you can start a call.
- When you try to start a phone call for the first time, you'll see a message underneath the address bar asking for permission to access your computer's microphone and camera.
- Click Allow. You only need to do this once. The Chrome browser will remember your choice for future Hangouts.
- Red circle in the address bar of the Chrome browser: This means the browser's tab is using your microphone and camera. It also means that you're in a Hangouts phone call without having the plugin downloaded to your computer.
- Video camera icon in the address bar of the Chrome browser: This means that you've allowed the website you're on to use your camera and microphone, but it may not actually be using it.
If you deny access the first time but want to allow it later, you can change the setting during a phone call:
- Go to the address bar in the Chrome browser.
- Click the camera icon with the X .
- Click Always allow plus.google.com to access your microphone.
- Click Done.
- Click Reload.
- When you try to start a phone call for the first time with Firefox browser, you'll see an error message underneath the address bar.
- To the left of the address bar, click the gray block icon .
- To run the Google Talk plugin for the phone call, click Activate.
- Choose from these options for the Google Talk plugin:
- Activate now: Allow the plugin to work for this phone call.
- Always activate: Allow the plugin to work for this phone call and for future phone calls.
- Never activate: Block the plugin from working.
Unblock the plugin: From the Firefox menu, click Add-ons > Plug-ins > scroll to Google Talk Plugin > choose Always activate.
- When you try to start a phone call for the first time with the Safari browser, you'll see an error message.
- The message will ask if you want to trust the Google website to run the Google Talk plugin for the phone call. Click Trust to allow it. If you click Not now, you can install it at another time.
If you do want to install it later, in Safari, go to Preferences > Security > Manage website settings > Choose the Google Talk plugin > Click Allow.
Unblock the plugin: In Safari, go to Preferences > Security > Manage website settings > Choose the Google Talk plugin > Click Allow.
Make a call from Hangouts on your computer
- Open Hangouts at hangouts.google.com, in Gmail, in the Chrome extension, or in the Chrome desktop app.
- Click the phone tab .
- Type a phone number or name in the search box. If you're placing an international call, select the country code by clicking the flag drop-down menu or by typing it into the search box (for example, +55 for Brazil).
- Click the phone number or person's name that you want to call.
- If you are calling a phone number that has an extension, enter the extension using the dial pad .
If you're in a Hangouts conversation with someone, you can call them right away. At the top of the Hangouts conversation window, click the phone icon .
When you've finished the call, close the Hangout window, or click the call end icon .
You can request refunds for calls through the Google Voice billing page.
Caller ID for calls placed in Hangouts
When you make a call in Hangouts, the Caller ID will show the number as "unknown," and you can't receive phone calls back to your number.
But if you make a call through Hangouts with a Google Voice account, your Google Voice number will display on the Caller ID.
Megan is a Hangouts expert and the author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.