Make a call through Hangouts from your computer
Almost all calls to the U.S. and Canada are free from all countries where Hangouts calling is available. A few U.S. and Canadian destinations will cost USD 1 cent per minute depending on the specific phone number. The 1-cent rate may vary depending on the local currency. You can look up the cost through the calling credit page for your Google Account. You also can make calls to destinations outside of the U.S. and Canada with low international rates.
Calling isn't available from some countries, such as Mexico and Argentina. Learn more about where calling is available.
To receive calls, text messages, and voicemails in Hangouts, you need to have a Google Voice account, which is currently only available in the U.S. You can also make calls through the Hangouts app on Android devices or iOS devices.
You cannot place or receive emergency service calls by making a call in Hangouts.
Make a call from Hangouts on your computer
- Open Hangouts in Gmail, the Chrome extension, or the Hangouts Chrome desktop app.
- Click the phone tab .
- A window will open where you can search for a person to call by name or phone number. Type a phone number or name in the search box.
- If you're placing an international call, select the country code by clicking the flag drop-down menu or by typing it into the search box (for example, +55 for Brazil).
- Click the phone number or person's name that you want to call.
- Dial an extension: If you are calling a phone number that has an extension, click the dial pad button, and use the dial pad that appears to enter the extension.
When you've finished the call, click the call end icon or close the Hangout window.
You can request refunds for calls through the Google Voice billing page.
Caller ID for calls placed in Hangouts
When you make a call in Hangouts, the Caller ID will show the number as "unknown," and you can't receive phone calls back to your number.
But if you make a call through Hangouts with a Google Voice account, your Google Voice number will display on the Caller ID.