Change Hangouts settings on iOS devices
You can change Hangouts settings like your status, notifications, or blocking specific people.
You can also create default settings for all Hangouts, specific Hangouts, or for specific people or groups.
General Hangouts app settings
You can change the general settings for the app, like sounds for notifications, what status you share, or temporarily turning off notifications.
- Open the Hangouts app on your iOS device.
- Touch your profile photo.
- Touch settings .
- Then choose any of the settings below to change them.
Choose any or all of the following things to share:
- Click the box for Share your status: Type a custom status message, like "in a meeting" or "on vacation." Your status will be visible to everyone you use Hangouts with.
- Last seen: Touch the toggle button so it switches to green to show your contacts when you were last using Hangouts. If you switch the toggle button to white, the last seen time won't show. Even though you don't show when you were last seen, if someone messages you, they may still see that you're available if you click the conversation window, or have your device or in-call status turned on.
- Show which device you're on (phone, tablet or computer): Touch the toggle button so it switches to green to show which device you're currently on. If the toggle button is white, then you won't show this status.
- Show when you're on a video or phone call on your devices: Touch the toggle button so it switches to green to share whether you're in a video or phone call on any of your devices. If the toggle button is white, then you won't show this status.
Snooze notifications can be helpful when you're unavailable to talk, like when you're in a meeting or while you're driving. You can choose to snooze notifications for 1, 2, 4, 8, 24, or 72 hours.
Sounds off: Touch the toggle button so no green is showing.
Vibrate off: Touch the toggle button so no green is showing.
Choose whether to allow calls to ring for Hangouts on Wi-Fi connections only or on both Wi-Fi and your cellular network connection. If you allow calls on your network connection, you'll be using your cellular data plan and may be charged by your carrier.Video call ring
Video call ring on: Touch the toggle button so it switches to green.
Video call ring off: Touch the toggle button so no green is showing.
- Circles: Touch the toggle button so it switches to green to allow that Circle to start a Hangout with you without sending an invite.
- Everyone else: Touch the toggle button so it switches to green to adjust the settings for anyone not in your Google+ circles.
- Invitation notifications: Touch the toggle button so it switches to green to receive a notification when new people want to start a Hangout with you.
- Touch Include system data to share your device's information with Google. This is important to include if you're writing about a technical issue so that we have the information to solve the problem.
- Write your comment or describe your problem.
- Touch the send icon .
We'll read your feedback and respond only if we need more information.
You can customize the settings for a Hangout with one person.
- Open the Hangouts app on your iOS.
- At the top right of the Hangout, touch menu .
- Then touch any of the settings below to change them.
- Archive : Archive your Hangout. When you archive a Hangout, it won't show in your Hangouts list anymore. But you can see the conversation by going to your general Hangouts settings and choosing Archived Hangouts.
- Hangout history: Your Hangout history is saved by default. For Google Apps accounts, your domain administrator can change this default setting. Messages sent while Hangout history is turned on will be saved, even if history is later turned off. To turn it off, touch the toggle button so it switches to white. Keep in mind that if you're talking to someone who is connected to the network with a different desktop chat client, it's possible that their software is keeping a separate copy of the history.
- New group Hangout: If you want to invite other people to join, touch New group Hangout to turn your Hangout into a group Hangout.
- Touch the names of the people you want to add from the list.
- Touch Create. When you start a new group Hangout, this will start a new Hangout conversation window.
- Delete Hangout: Delete your Hangout. You won't be able to restart or recover your Hangout once you delete it. If you want to see your Hangout's history, you can see it as long as the history setting was on during the time of the conversation.
- Block person: Block the person from contacting you on Hangouts. You can also block people or spam when you get a Hangout invite or report abuse for spamming.
Group Hangouts have the same settings as individual Hangouts, except that you can't delete the Hangout or block someone.
- Open the Hangouts app on your iOS.
- At the top right of the Hangout, touch the menu .
- Then choose any of the additional group Hangouts settings below to change them: