Control how people get in touch with you
By default, anyone who knows your email address or phone number can directly send you a Hangouts message. If you want, you can choose to allow direct contact or require invitations depending on whether people know your phone number, email address, or are in your Google+ circles.
Tip: Verify your phone number so that people can use it to find and contact you in Hangouts.
Change your Hangouts invite settings
- Open Hangouts at hangouts.google.com or in Gmail.
- Open settings:
- On hangouts.google.com: Click Menu > Settings.
- On Gmail: At the top of your Hangouts list next to your name, click the Down arrow .
- Click Customize invite settings.
- Choose the recommended invitation settings or customize your settings.
People who know your phone number, who know your email address, or who are in your Google+ circles can contact you directly.
Everyone else can send you invitations
- Can contact you directly: People can start a Hangout with you for the first time without sending you an invitation.
- Can send you an invitation: People need to send you an invitation before starting a Hangout with you for the first time. To receive notifications for Hangouts invites, check the box next to "Get notified about Hangout requests."
- Can't send invites: People can't start a Hangout with you or send you an invitation.
Respond to invites
When someone invites you to a Hangout, the invites will be at the top of the conversation list until you respond. Some invites that could be spam will be put in a spam folder in the "Invites" section in settings.
You can choose to either accept or ignore an invitation.Accept
If you accept the invite, you'll start the Hangout and will be notified of all future messages and video calls from that person. After accepting the invite, you'll also see them in your contacts list, and they'll see your status.
If you don't want to be notified of Hangouts messages from that particular person, you can turn off notifications for that Hangout.
If you ignore the Hangout invite, it goes away. The person who sent you the invite won't be notified that you ignored it.
Block someone or report abuse
When you ignore someone, you also can block and/or report the person for abuse.Block
When you receive an invitation, select Ignore > Block.
When you block someone from contacting you on Hangouts, the person will also be blocked in other Google products including Google+ and Google Chat in Gmail.
When you receive an invitation, select Ignore > Report.
When you report a person for abuse on Hangouts, you'll let Google know that there may be an issue with this person, such as harassment or spam. If we find that someone is violating our policies, we will take action.
Reporting abuse doesn't block a person. You have to do that separately.
Brenna is a Hangouts expert and the author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.