Manage invitations on Hangouts
When someone sends you a message or an invite to a video call for the first time, you'll receive a Hangout invite notification.
Respond to invites
When someone invites you to a Hangout, the invites will be at the top of the conversation list until you respond. Some invites that could be spam will be put in a spam folder in the "Invites" section in settings.
You can respond to the invite in two ways:Accept
Block someone or report abuse
When you ignore someone, you also can block and/or report the person for abuse.Block
Change your Hangouts invite settings
You can allow people to start a Hangout with you without sending you an invitation if they know your phone number, email address, or are in your Google+ circles. Or you can require people to send you an invitation first.
Tip: Verify your phone number so that people can use it to find and contact you in Hangouts.
- Open Hangouts at hangouts.google.com or in Gmail.
- Open settings:
- hangouts.google.com: Click menu > Settings.
- Gmail: At the top of your Hangouts list, click menu .
- Click Customize invite settings.
- Choose the recommended invitation settings or customize your settings.
You can turn notifications on and off for new Hangout invitations.
Check the box next to "Get notified about invitations."
People who know your phone number, who know your email address, or who are in your Google+ circles can contact you directly.
Everyone else can send you invitations
- Can contact you directly: People can start a Hangout with you for the first time without sending you an invitation.
- Can send you an invitation: People need to send you an invitation before starting a Hangout with you for the first time. To receive notifications for Hangouts invites, check the box next to "Get notified about Hangout requests."
- Can't send invites: People can't start a Hangout with you or send you an invitation.
Megan is a Hangouts expert and the author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.