Manage invitations on Hangouts
When someone sends you a message or an invite to a video call for the first time, you'll receive a Hangout invite notification.
Respond to invites
When someone invites you to a Hangout, the invites will be at the top of the conversation list until you respond. Some invites that could be spam will be put in a spam folder in the "Invites" section in settings.
You can respond to the invite in two ways:Accept
Block someone or report abuse
When you ignore someone, you also can block and/or report the person for abuse.Block
Change your Hangouts invite settings
You can allow people to start a Hangout with you without sending you an invitation if they know your phone number, email address, or are in your Google+ circles. Or you can require people to send you an invitation first.
Tip: Verify your phone number so that people can use it to find and contact you in Hangouts.
- Open Hangouts at hangouts.google.com or in Gmail.
- Open settings:
- hangouts.google.com: Click menu > Settings.
- Gmail: At the top of your Hangouts list, click menu .
- Click Customize invite settings.
- Choose the recommended invitation settings or customize your settings.
People who know your phone number, who know your email address, or who are in your Google+ circles can contact you directly.
Everyone else can send you invitations
- Can contact you directly: People can start a Hangout with you for the first time without sending you an invitation.
- Can send you an invitation: People need to send you an invitation before starting a Hangout with you for the first time. To receive notifications for Hangouts invites, check the box next to "Get notified about Hangout requests."
- Can't send invites: People can't start a Hangout with you or send you an invitation.
Megan is a Hangouts expert and the author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.